Search This Blog

Sunday, September 27, 2026

I get the news I need on the weather report

I *think* we’re past the worst of the nor’easter here in coastal Massachusetts. The storm’s not wholly done with us BUT wind gusts have climbed down from their peak of 65 mph in our relatively calm neighborhood. We’re down to about 30 mph now. No trees have toppled but a couple branches came down. No damage to house or cars though. YEA us. AND we haven’t lost power! More yea.

Apart from dashing next door to watch teevee last night, I haven’t been outside. My balance is already banjaxed to Hell and back. I don’t need to give Mother Nature a shot at toppling me. As much as I’ve absolutely LOVED watching the bodacious breakers in the past, just standing in awe of them, I’m now just fine looking at pictures, thenkyouverymuch.

I gotta ask WHY, during these big storms, does the news always focus on Scituate, a town about 17 miles down the coast from us? Wouldn’t it be more dramatic to get shots from P-town or the Vineyard? Ya know, farther out into the ocean? Jen’s sister and fam, by the by, live in Scituate but, wisely, NOT on the coast. 

Yesterday on the coast in Scituate

Just so ya know, Scituate is pronounced "SITCH-oo-it" (or Sih-chew-itt). It’s the anglicized version of the Wampanoag word for "cold brook.”

As you may remember, Valhalla is located one house back from the seawall. We’re on a bay so we don’t often get the crazy kind of mini tsunami action that they see in Scituate.

The worst that happened yesterday was, weirdly, our water pressure was low so I didn’t get a shower. Yes, I could have just gone outside BUT I’m not insane – it was cold out there!

Paul Simon’s song Only Living Boy In New York came into my head for obvious nor’easter-y reasons this morning. When I looked up the lyrics I found the meaning, the inspiration. It’s about Garfunkel breaking up the duo to become an actor (which didn’t ultimately work out for him). It’s about Simon's loneliness, maybe feeling abandoned, and wishing your ex well. Can you say POIGNANT!

Tom, get your plane right on time
I know your part’ll go fine
Fly down to Mexico
Da-n-da-da-n-da-n-da-da and here I am,
The only living boy in New York

I get the news I need on the weather report
Oh, I can gather all the news I need on the weather report

Hey, I’ve got nothing to do today but smile
Da-n-do-da-n-do-da-n-do here I am
The only living boy in New York

Half of the time we’re gone but we don’t know where
And we don’t know where
Here I am
Half of the time we’re gone, but we don’t know where
And we don’t know where


What a great song. I can hear it in my head. 'Scuse me now, I gotta grab that long overdue rain room time.

No comments:

Post a Comment