Search This Blog

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Seychelle Dreams

Bermuda, not the Seychelles -- no pics from there...YET.
I dreamed that I was on holiday in the Seychelles with Hope and Jim Buechler.

Hope and Jim are family friends. More, they’re like family -- Aunt and Uncle. We’ve known each other since the beginning of the ‘60s when Jim taught English and Daddy taught Math and Science at St. Bernard's, a boy’s prep school in Gladstone, New Jersey.

Before Jim and Hope retired out to Taos, New Mexico, I’d visit them down at their awesome, rambling Victorian near the beach in Duxbury, Massachusetts. Thanksgiving was always spent down there -- such a glorious party and feast!

I've visited them once in Taos too. Jim took me on a hike -- him sprinting about, leaping over boulders and such, never getting winded, with me huffing, puffing and scrambling to keep up. He was in his 70s then -- me in my 40s. Why yes, thank you, I was horrified and embarrassed at how out of shape I was.

In any case, in this dream we were in the Seychelles -- a place I’ve never thought of visiting. It’s too damn far. Here’s what one possible voyage looks like (on Air France):
Depart Boston at 6:40 PM, Arrive Amsterdam at 7:40 AM accounting for the time difference but not including getting to Logan and the mandatory two hour airport hoopla that’s seven hours or so.
Depart Amsterdam at 10:00 PM, Arrive Abu Dhabi 7:25 AM
accounting for the time difference but not including getting back to Schiphol after the 14 and a half hour layover and the mandatory two hour airport hoopla that’s six and a half hours.
Depart Abu Dhabi 8:25 AM, Arrive Mahe Island 1:00 PM another four and a half hours not including getting from Seychelles International Airport into the nearest town, Victoria.

So, that’s 16 hours of flight, four hours of airport hoopla time and a 14 and a half hour layover in Amsterdam for 34.5 hours of travel, not including getting to Logan to begin with.

No thank you!

In this dream though, we were just THERE. Fabola -- Star Trekian transporter beams must have been invented.

Jim, Hope and I were meandering down a slim, winding street lined with bright colored doors set into two storied stone buildings. It looked like Stromness in the Orkney Islands only bigger/longer and there were more palm trees. Incredibly, there are palm trees at latitude 58.9600° N! Scraggly motherfuckers but they thrive like a determined, gnarly, old hermit crab.

We were headed to the Boathouse where we’d meet Susan -- my friend and their youngest daughter. Jen was scheduled to fly in to meet us too and, naturally -- worrywart that I am -- I was afraid she’d not be able to find us. By now my Victoria dreamscape streets were filled with fruit carts, fabric stalls and people -- packed like an Arab bazaar at noon.

And then, Coco pounced on me with all fours feet, letting me know that it was half past her breakfast time.

What’s the dream mean? I miss Hope and Jim and want to see them. Soon. Susan and her older sister Lydia, also a treasured friend, too.

And I don’t want Jen to get lost either.

See? Loads of deep meaning but I’m still unsure of the significance of the Seychelles.

Maybe I should go there and find out?

No comments:

Post a Comment