Search This Blog

Thursday, May 21, 2015

I'll take doofusosity for 500, Alex.

Yesterday The Amazing Bob had a follow up appointment with his heart dude.  I had it down in my calendar for 11 AM. TAB had gotten reminder phone calls telling him 11 AM. After this, I received an email saying the consult’d been shifted to 2 PM. I responded. I acknowledged the change.

And then what happened Madame Doofus? Not only did I fail to update the calendar, I totes forgot about the switch.

*sigh*

We'd arrived at Mass General on the early side as it was. Traffic along 93 is always a gamble so we'd allotted extra extra time for the trek in. Yes we were early. Now, three and a half hours so, in fact.

Joy.

What to do? What to do? We considered heading home, returning for the later time, but that'd add another two hours in traffic to the day (for a total of four).

Instead, we went down to the cafeteria for a late brekkie/early lunch and newspaper perusaling. Yup, that killed an hour. NOW what? If it was just me, I would’ve gone for a long walk around Beacon Hill but TAB’s got a bad back so not into long walks plus he’s still weak from chemo. We couldn’t just sit there for two hours though—that'd make us crazy (OK, more).

What to do, what to do?

I commandeered a wheelchair and, not unlike Bloom County’s Cutter John (sans penguin, etc.), we zoomed off. Granted, I was pushing versus riding and we failed to achieve warp speed (purely due to the corridors of MGH being so crowded…of course) but we were still off and more or less running.

So then, I got exercise and TAB got a grand tour of the more obscure, hidden hallways of our fine, HUGE hospital. Win/win-ish.

We ended the journey back at Doc Drachman’s office, ready for TAB’s meeting. By now we were both crankily impatient. After waiting 15 minutes, I asked the receptionist How late is the good doctor running today? She investigated and gave us the bad news—it’d be another hour.

Nope. No can do. We rescheduled and motored home. Naturally, par for the day, we hit some seriously heinous homeward bound traffic. This, once again, confirmed my belief that it is always rush hour on 93.

OOF! Oof, oof, oof.

What have I learned from this little debacle? That I need to update my damn calendar as soon as there's a change. IMMEDIATELY! No delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment