Search This Blog

Saturday, January 27, 2018

Penguin Dust!

We were SO chubby then! It was happy cake fat.
Today is our 32nd anniversary. Christ, I’m having anachronistic issues. IF The Amazing Bob was still alive on this day, we’d be celebrating our long brill union. But he’s not.

Just to be clear, we didn’t marry 32 years ago – that happened at, about, the halfway point of our fabulous journey together. Why’d we wait so long? There are big, deep philosophical reasons but, what it comes down to is this – Badges? We don’t need no stinkin’ badges! 

Jen asked me what I wanted to do to mark this big occasion. My first response? Get wasted. (I
 won’t) My second? I wanna dig up his ashes, magically bring him back to full, healthy, baseball playing, laughing, piano playing form and live happily ever after. It’s, seriously now, NOT too much to ask. Wut? It is? FUCK!

I feel certain I’ve written about our wickedly fun wedding day before but I can’t find it. The capsule version – we got married in our Cambridge living room. Oni walked me down the “aisle” (the hallway), to the music of The Dell Vikings, Come Go With Me. Jen (who’d snagged a preacher for the day certificate) did the legalized unification deed. First TAB and I read bits of our fave poems, cracked wise and laughed a LOT. At the end, Jen announced that we “could now swap spit.” We did.

You and me could really exist
~ Lawrence Ferlinghetti, from A Coney Island of the Mind

Penguin dust, bring me penguin dust, I want penguin dust.
Gregory Corso, from Marriage

We’d planned the day so’s we could have our wedding banquet (Chinese/French fusion cuisine and a chocolate on chocolate with chocolate cake for dessert) while watching the big play-off game. Patriots and some other damn team. Like TAB and I, the Pat’s won.

What will I do today? Temps will hit 50 or thereabouts so, possibly, a VERY long, meditative walk on Nantasket. No doubt, there’ll be elliptical action and a new painting begun. I'll reread some Corso and Ferlinghetti while spending prone time with our purr monster kitten. Afterward, Jen, Oni and I will have Brussel sprout pizza (yes, EVERY damn thing’s better with Brussel sprouts!), watch a couple eps of our new fave show, Grimm and toast my all-too-soon-gone-from-this-world beloved Hunny Pie.

There’s a hole in my heart the size of the Grand Canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment