Search This Blog

Friday, March 30, 2018

Good Friday

 Aren’t they all though. Oh wait, this wasn’t a particularly wonderful day for a certain Jesus H. Christ, now was it?

Just wondering, what’s the H stand for? Urban Dictionary tells me it’s:
A)   for Harold because: "Our Father, who art in heaven, Harold be thy name.” OF COURSE!
B)   for Haploid since Jesus has no human father.
       I gotta point out here that, though Joseph wasn’t the sperm donor, he most def was the kid’s father. He was there when the boy was young and getting into trouble. Joseph put food on the table and taught him a trade. He loved and cared for Jesus. Whether he contributed baby batter or not, he WAS a father.
C)   It’s the H in the IHS logo found on all manner of Christian paraphernalia. IHS (or IHC as it’s occasionally seen, is the abbreviation of Jesus in ancient Greek (Ιησούς) or Coptic (ⲓⲏⲥⲟⲩⲥ) characters.
Oh. OK.

I just began rereading Christopher Moore’s Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. Such a great, fun, thought-provoking read and perfect for this weekend. There’s something in there to offend everyone or, at least, cause a little discomfort. GOOD!
In this work the author seeks to fill in the "lost" years of Jesus through the eyes of Jesus' childhood pal, "Levi bar Alphaeus who is called Biff.” (source)
I’m tellin’ you, Biff is a brill storyteller. On top of that, there are so many lines which inspire fist pumping shouts of YES, that’s IT!
Unless you can change the past, you’re wasting the present on this guilt.

Routine feeds the illusion of safety…

Faith isn't an act of intelligence, it's an act of imagination.

Praying is talking to God. Meditating is listening.
I like this. A LOT. Now, when I’m meditating, I’m totes not trying to receive God’s latest hot take. Nope, I’m just leaving myself open to receive the beauty and peace of the moment – how the waves, big and small crash or lope onto the shore. How the light of day appears as it beams though the curl and bounces off the crest.

When I’m meditating with Coco, I’m experiencing the wonder of her silky fur and the soothing peace of her purr.

When I’m doing my lap-swimming meditation, I focus on how my body feels and moves with each stroke – the experience of the water flowing around my arms and legs. Oh yeah, I’m also mindful of whether I’m swimming in a straight line or careening into fellow swimmers or the pool wall. Lap meditation’s more work than sitting on the beach or in my easy chair with my sweet princess on my lap.

And then there are the ones which make me laugh and think AT THE SAME TIME!
... but to remain historically accurate, I would have had to leave out an important question that I felt needed to be addressed, which is, 'What if Jesus had known kung fu?'
Josh, trying to explain and calm says:
All fear comes from trying to see the future, Biff. If you know what is coming, you aren't afraid.
Yeah dude, tell it. And:
Nobody's perfect. Well, there was this one guy, but we killed him….

No comments:

Post a Comment