Search This Blog

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Shroomage

Oni pointed this baby, this cluster of impressive babies, out to Jen and I yesterday. They’re gorgeous but what are they? Are they edible? Are they bad for the tree?
By the by, I believe our tree's name is Maurice because, of course, he speaks of the pompitous of love. As long as I'm off topic, what the hell is a pompitous? The good ol’ Urban Dictionary tells me it’s a:
word invented and made famous by Steve Miller… that means - splendor, magnificence, suave pageantry.

OK then.
I'd also like to know if these suckers are magic. I never, ever dabbled in the fungi, the safest of highs. Why not? By the time I was at a soirée where they were on the menu, I was past my wildcat drug days. Maybe I should try to grow some now – it's a calorie-free high, could conceivably grow my brain in a good way (!!!) and might give me fresh painting ideas. I only mention it but this sounds like it's full of win.

Gotta ask myself – what would Alice do? Hmmmmmm.

Back to Maurice and his new friends though.
Although some varieties of bark mushrooms are harmless, some cause what is called white rot, and some cause the more serious brown rot. A few mushrooms that grow on bark are edible, but most are not.
~~~snip~~~
Mushrooms that grow on tree bark are spread by wind-blown spores. They usually infect older trees.… There is little you can do to prevent their appearance or eliminate them once they get started.
~~~snip~~~
A tree weakened by bark mushrooms, especially those that cause brown rot, can fall and injure people or damage property.
Some (bark growing oyster mushroom) look-alikes will make you sick, and some may even kill.
(source)
*sigh* looks like I need to get in touch with our local tree medic and schedule a house call.

Coincidentally, Christopher over at Freethinkers Anonymous  has a très amusant AND helpfully informative post up on this very topic!

6 comments:

  1. Back in the final heyday, the extinction burst of the Timber Industry in what is euphemistically known as The Pacific Northwest, notable to my experience salvaging logs in the aftermath of Mt St Helens' 1980 eruptions, the question was posed "how do you tell the difference between a helicopter logger and the more conventional, the cat and highline logger?" Well, back in the hell-raisin', harley-ridin' helicopter day in little places like Packwood and Cougar Washington five o'clock in the morning your conventional loggers, in old grey hickory shirts and bobbed off jeans, are down to the cafe eating biscuits and gravy and getting their thermos' filled with black coffee; while the Helicopter Loggers, dressed flamboyantly in varying shades of neon and having only moments ago closed the bar are out in the cow pastures sniffin' cocaine and picking mushrooms.

    Those, are Good Old Days. (none of us died)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet you looked awesome in neon too.

      Delete
    2. Don't know about that but it was scientifically tested: can be seen from seven miles.

      Delete
    3. I stand by my statement mon ami :-)

      Delete
  2. All mushrooms can be eaten. The trick is avoiding the ones where the qualifier is "only once"!

    ReplyDelete