Search This Blog

Friday, May 25, 2018

What I Learned Yesterday

1) Cadet Bone-spurs, that draft dodging, golfing fool of a president, in his usual stunningly defensive and transparently incompetent and bullying way, swaggered that, should war happen with North Korea, Japan and China are going to pay for it.

Huh.  

Just like you got Mexico to pay for your never-gonna-be-built-counterproductive-pointless-as-fuck wall, eh?
~~~
2) Enjambment was the word for the day.

Is the b silent? I really gotta know. It should be coz, ya see, what the word clearly means is:
Verb
To be stuck in a giant vat of strawberry preserves or orange marmalade or the like.
I am enjambed in a thousand gallons of apricot jelly...HELP!
OR
I've filled my bathtub with quince jam and I am so gonna enjamb you if you don’t shut up!

Ummm...actually, enjambment is a noun that means “the running on of the thought from one line, couplet, or stanza to the next without a syntactical break.”

I like my definition better.
~~~
3) Our constitutionally guaranteed right to free speech is now apparently only guaranteed as long as you agree with everything the tangerine hurl bucket and his Republican party say and do. President Sphincter Brain has also made known that he strongly believes citizenship should be dependent on standing for the anthem – i.e., NOT exercising our constitutional rights.

Blatant fascism is in da houzz

There’s a lively and informative discussion going on over at No More Mister Nice Blog’s post The NFL Sidelines are the new Zuccotti Park.

The premise is that the “Right,” abetted by their their corrupt propaganda machine, have so muddied the NFL player protests that it’s no longer crystal clear that the footballers are making a statement about inequality and police brutality. Is the protest still effective? Can we successfully sue the motherfucking, craven-ass NFL?  Will sports fans care enough to boycott? Can we do all that AND find new ways to protest and get the message out?

The New York Crank and others make interesting, thought provoking, choice points.
 ~~~
4) With apologies to Sir Paul:

When I find myself in times of sleeplessness
Princess Coco comes to me
Speaking words of need
“Pat me now”
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of urgency
“Skritch under my chin too.”
~~~
5) Erin’s old boss Chris Kimball, ex of Cook’s Illustrated, has a new mag and book out, Milk Street. It looks seriously phenomenal. Yes I know. You’re thinking “C’MON Donna, we KNOW you don’t cook. How would you know whether this fresh offering is good or not?” 

I can appreciate the chow shots AND the fact that the recipes are more far-reaching – interestingly international.
Kimball said Milk Street is inspired by global cuisine that is less reliant on heat and time and more so on spices and levels of flavor. “It’s just a whole new way of thinking about cooking,” Kimball said. (source)
Jen, Oni and I were drooling our way through the pages last night. Moroccan, Oni might make Moroccan food soon!!!

6 comments:

  1. En-jam-b-ment is a bit unwieldy, and I wonder if it would apply to falling into a vat of beer. The other, though, en-jamb-ment, I saw long ago in a (typewriter days) discussion of what I've come to know as the Kerouac style. Typing on a typewriter modified to accept a roll of paper rather than take the time to change individual sheets, running on breathlessly without punctuation or capitalization, literally holding a reader hostage; everything I railed against when teaching people to use a computer 🤨 Not a knock on Jack, it's a recognized writing style not unlike legaleeze or dog-whistle. I used this when teaching the history of computers and computing, of various attempts ore the years to improve on the delivery of word, as a example of modifying a typesetting device, a word processing device, to improve its performance.

    I also posed the question why do we call it typing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emmmmmm...because "fingering" sounds kind of naughty or, possibly even, skeevy?

      Kerouac's "spontaneous bop prosody" – love it but it's art not journo. Unless, of course, we've fallen into the Beat Dimension which would be fun, at first, but very confusing. :-)

      You taught the history of computers – COOL! What else did you teach?

      Delete
  2. Just Computer and Information Science at college level. For a couple of years I taught TANF (welfare) recipients GED, basic math and communication skills (still am, as ... an "elder").

    I'm almost to young for the Beats, having been born mid-fifties and in a less enlightened part of the west. I was fortunate to in an act of incarcerated teenage rebellion read Kesey, who was kind of the last, when he was fresh, and of course in that time frame everybody was reading Jack. Lot of interesting stuff came out of there that gets overlooked. Funny story: not long ago my fourteen year old grand-daughter discovered "beat music" and asked me if I'd ever heard it. She was listening to Sounds of Silence

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and I are very close in age.

    For my part, by the time I read On the Road, I’d just come off the road, (with the carnival) and it felt...dunno...too late/after the fact for me. If I were to read it now, I expect, it’d feel very different. I didn’t discover his poetry until after TAB and I began canoodling. TAB was a BIG fan of the Beats (and was closer to their age).

    Your 14 year old — HOW SWEET! Though Miles’ Kind of Blue is way closer to Beat 🙂 I bet she’d really dig And Flowers Never Bend with the Rainfall. I sure did/do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your political comments are always my favorite! I feel like it's been a long-standing thing that free speech exists, unless you don't agree with me, and then shut your mouth. It drives me out of my mind, hearing arguments, when one person says something ridiculous and screams "free speech!" but then another person says something ridiculous that person one was not a fan of.... and then person one freaks the hell out, and the whole thing is just very entertaining - if not eye-twitchingly-good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sidny!

      One of the best parts of losing my hearing is that I don't have to listen to the "Free speach for me but not for thee" crowd. My blood pressure used to totally sky rocket. Now, if someone goes full metal whackaloon on me, I just smile, say "I'm deaf. Can't hear you." and walk away.

      Delete