Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

That Time of Year

It’s finally that most spectacular time of year. Ya know, I can now step outside and NOT instantly freeze down to the molecular level. I can walk out my front door and the wind does NOT knock me off my wobbly pins. I don’t need to clear a path through the snow so that Umlaut (and others) can have brekkie. I don't gotta scramble over tall drifts to take snaps of the water.

Granted, we haven’t had snow in prolly a month but it’s just over this past week that the temps have been more or less consistently warm. Trees are in bloom, daffodils are up, lilacs are out and purpley. That and we can, finally, spend weekend afternoons sitting on the porch reading, watching the water run, greeting passing wildlife and smelling that damn awesome air!
AHHHH, the briny perfume of low tide!

This is the time of year when the simple act of opening a window makes me all kinds of happy. This is when I’m able to take a break from work, cleaning, painting, whatEVAH and step across the street (SANS jacket!), to sit on the seawall and breathe in the gorgeous clean air.

Like the Black Scoter returning to Truro, only not so nice, the boat trailers have begun arriving. I’m not looking forward to the motor boats churning up the stunning, clear, clean water. One of the bennies of deafness is that, at least I can’t hear the loud, rumbling, rolling farts of these loathsome things.

WHY so few beautiful sailboats and so many bloody outboard buckets?

We all came in on different ships, but we're all in the same boat now.
~ Martin Luther King Jr.

And some of us were already here – no boat required.

You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water.
~ Rabindranath Tagore

Ah, but that’s all I want to do – stand and stare. OK, I like to sit and gaze too.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
~ H. P. Lovecraft

Ocean: A body of water occupying two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.
~ Ambrose Bierce

Heh, if we had any evolutionary sense we’d have gotten on that before inventing cars, guns and iPhones.

I really don't know why it is that all of us are so committed to the sea, except I think it's because in addition to the fact that the sea changes, and the light changes, and ships change, it's because we all came from the sea. And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea - whether it is to sail or to watch it - we are going back from whence we came.
~ John F. Kennedy

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.
~ Jacques Cousteau

No comments:

Post a Comment