Search This Blog

Friday, June 22, 2018

Finally!

It’s Friday. All the monstro-huge jobs I had in house are PDFed and out. Gone. Printed!

Yes, there are a few small stragglers hanging about BUT I’ll finish those today and then I’m gonna have an actual weekend – the first one in months. Yea!

Last night Hillel came over. We made dinner, had cupcakes and watched a movie –  The Shape of Water. You’ve probably already seen it. I hadn’t AND knew nothing of the story except…except…water. I like water.

Also, the last film I saw by director, Guillermo del Toro, the sad, ultra dark fairy tale Pan's Labyrinth, hit me where I live.
In the falangist Spain of 1944, the bookish young stepdaughter of a sadistic army officer escapes into an eerie but captivating fantasy world. (source)
Can I, like stepdaughter Ofelia, escape the horrors of life through my interior fantasy life and, in the end, is that world more real than reality?

What is Shape of Water about?
At a top secret research facility in the 1960s, a lonely janitor forms a unique relationship with an amphibious creature that is being held in captivity. (source)
The lonely janitor, Eliza, is mute and communicates via sign language. This was an awesome surprise. Yes, we had the subtitles on but it was so fab-cool to be able to just watch the movie and know, without reading, what was being said. You know, like I did before my hearing crapped out.

Pan’s Labyrinth was painful – the little girl hero doesn’t make it. OR does she? I was expecting The Shape of Water to be along the same wrenching yet beautiful, magical line. It was but it was also a bit lighter in tone – NOT disappointed here. The movie was stunning and full of mysteries.

Well worth it.

In my own dreamworld this week, I was an astronaut who’d crashed down into a vast ocean on Mars. Yes, Mars had an ocean. I escaped the wreckage, had gathered a few belongings and was swimming to the surface. Though not in an oxygen pumping space suit, I was able to breath. I was fine. Well, I was until, back on Earth, I had to report to an antagonistic and dimwitted Congress as to why I was the only survivor out of a crew of six.

Luck?

And this morning I dreamt that Martin, Della and I were in Amsterdam or maybe it was Berlin. We were scouring the town for concert tickets to an upcoming show by The Ex. Man, in Wakey-Wake City, I haven’t thought of that band in eons. I saw them play (with Tom Cora), a zillion years ago, down in that glorious dungeon, The Rat. Blew my bean clear off, they did.

I just googled them – the band’s still a going concern AND, in fact, they’re hosting a big show (a festival!) in September at Paradiso, in celebration of the venue’s 50th birthday. Paradiso – GREAT hall. I had a positively religious experience there one year while at a world percussion fest.

Oh to be able to time travel!

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking of The Shape of Water, about signing, recently. Not sure my construction site signing is up to parr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see what construction site signing looks like. So many signs are just what you think they should be – like pantomime.

      Delete