Search This Blog

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Words, Words, Words and more of 'em

This, THIS is my favorite word for today:

Blatherskite
noun
person who talks at great length without making much sense.

Now, to my mind, a blatherskite would be someone adorable – totes unlike a certain weasel headed, gasbagging, egotistical, rancidly racist, vermilion dimbulb who deserves the same fate as his obvs heroes.

Nope, I’m thinking Emily Litella would be a MUCH better example of blatherskiteness. Agreed?

Arctophile
noun
a person who is very fond of and is usually a collector of teddy bears

No sorry, this word is clearly how one refers to experts on all things arctic. This, of course, includes the fact that the Arctic is melting – much more quickly than anticipated too. Republicans, at the behest of their corporate puppet masters, found a few faux experts who support their delusional assertions that we fossil fuel drunk humans have nothing to do with it.

This proves that, if you look hard enough, you can find a lowlife, greedheaded, mercenary who'll say the sky and green and the sea is pink as long as the paycheck's big enough.

NASA tells me that:
Most climate scientists agree the main cause of the current global warming trend is human expansion of the "greenhouse effect"— warming that results when the atmosphere traps heat radiating from Earth toward space.
Imma trust NASA versus the Trumpublicans, K? Also...teddy bears? Hah! Dictionary.com is obvs having a funny at my expense.

Causerie
noun
1) an informal talk or chat
2) a short, informal essay, article
     I was once booked to give a causerie in the drawing-room of a New York millionaire.
      ~ Mark Twain, A Little Note to Paul Bourget

Causerie – to my mind, sounds WAY more like a petting zoo for explanations, solid reasons, flimsy excuses and justifications.

Squiz
noun
A quick close look

I just love this one. I can totes see myself dropping this into upcoming convos. In fact, I predict I’ll be crafting convos for the express purpose of using this word. Ya know, like:
     Have a squiz at this new painting I’m working on. Waddya think?

Vespine
adjective
of or relating to wasps

Dunno about you but the word, much more than stinging hornets, puts those adorable, pastel colored scooters in mind. And this naturally leads to fantasies of zipping through the streets of Siena, in search of the perfect biscotti to have with my first cuppa mud of the day.

Chevelure
noun
a head of hair

For some reason horses, horse hair comes to mind when I read the word.

Warum?

Beats the fuck outta me. I looked for the origin/how this word came to be and found this at Merriam Webster:
French, from Old French chevelëure, from Late Latin capillatura, from Latin capillatus having long hair, from capillus hair
Decidedly NOT enlightening. Anybody got any ideas?

Normcore
noun
A fashion style or way of dressing characterized by ordinary plain clothing with no designer names, often a reaction against trendy fashion.

While I’m no sucker for designer names, I will never be accused of sporting a normcore look.

Littoral
adjective
of or relating to the shore of a lake, sea or ocean

Prolly just me but, emmmm, could this be at all related to women’s fun buttons? Oh nevermind – I’m being a little *cough* primitivo here.

Marplot
noun
a person who mars or defeats a plot, design or project by meddling.

OK, OK. I can see that but more, MUCH more, this word speaks to me of spacemen with red planet plans as well as elaborate cake schemes, involving crushed almonds and brandy.
MMMMMM, possibly this is my birthday cake desire talkin’.

Everything always comes around to cake. You have your calming totem and I got mine. Oh yes, I do.

4 comments:

  1. An arctophile obviously is a fan of Noah's great work, while a causerie is a series of caw sounds emitted by a crow. Squiz is either the Middle English plural of squid, or a spurt of mustard (for example) squeezed from its container. A Vespine is a forked spine, twice as strong as a conventional one. Politicians never have those.

    Your association of "chevelure" with horses undoubtedly comes from cheval, French for "horse". The same root gave us words like cavalry and chivalry. A chevelure should logically be a bait used to attract horses, as cheese lures mice into a mousetrap.

    I don't know why the French word for "horse" ended up so similar to the word for "hair". The original Latin equus is obviously not the root of cheval.

    Focusing on the edges of land masses (littoral stimulation) may be more effective than going directly for the geospot. It's a grey area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OF COURSE! 😁

      and thank you!

      Delete
    2. I have seen littor and littoral used in geology texts to describe clearly defined boundaries. Occasionally as well to describe the intersection of volcanic events, ie the clear definition of strata. There's another use but it escapes me.

      (I am not at my office, the texts not readily at hand)

      Delete
    3. So, it’s definitely NOT something to do with lady fun buttons? Damn, I’m disappointed!

      Delete