Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2019

Transience

I had my post-left eyeball, laser surgery appointment yesterday morning. The good doc dilated my peeper and pronounced me happily, beautifully successfully, wonderfully healing and DONE. Yea!

Today I am STILL tired to a preposterous degree. Warum? I ASK you! War-fucking-um!?

I suppose it’s that I’ve now, officially, completed my surgery-a-thon year (four…or was it five, eye procedures, and, of course, my spine – the cherry and weeds on top of the OR sundae). I still have a few more post-surgery follow ups BUT these are so, you’re still doing great? AWESOME! visits versus you’re not outta the woods yet and I’m concerned appointments.

I can breathe out now. Finally.

With rehab's advent I’m at the dawn of reentry into Strengthville. Ya know, I’m amazed at how much pain these VERY simple exercises inspire. I look forward to when I’m just a good tired afterward.

I keep thinking about The Amazing Bob and how, in his last few years or so, we were in and out of MGH almost every week – more. If lucky, it was for a simple check up or follow up appointment. If not, it was for fresh surgeries – heart, prostate, arterial crap – and/or chemo.

Upon arriving home yesterday,
Coco sternly insisted I lay down and take a break.
I did.
He was SO damn tired of/mega exhausted from his body's frequent crap-outs.

I was the keeper of his schedule. He’d ask me, at the weekend, what appointments do I have this next week. I’d check and, on the rare occasion when I was able to tell him, NONE, we’re not going into MGH this week, he’d be beyond thrilled. Naturally, this called for a trip to Saint Fratelli’s for celebratory CAKE. Of course it did.

This past year I’ve found myself occupying the same place. I check my calendar and inwardly sigh, wicked heavily, when I see more than one appointment listed. Jumping through all these damn health hoops is, just in case you weren’t sure, molto enervating.

I hope that I helped TAB to not feel hopeless. I hope that I provided distraction and was a soothing balm. Jen and Ten play that role for me now.

My next MGH/MEEI/Spaulding Rehab-free week is in one month. That very same week, Jen and I will fly to Iceland for a couple of luxurious and much needed days in the quiet geothermal heated pool of the Silica Hotel. If the weather’s not terribly vile we’ll take a hike or two in the surrounding hills. Maybe we’ll take a bus into Reykjavik for some gallery hopping. Possibly, we’ll do nothing but float in the warm, mineral enriched water with the snow gently dusting down on us.
I need this. I deserve this.

By the by, my stone stylin’ eye surgeon, Doctor Emma Davies, had on shimmery (practically disco-ish! FAB!) grey tights yesterday with THE most adorbs muted, pale pink velvet, high heeled Mary Janes. Honestly, between her brains, scalpel skills, upbeat, fun demeanor and fashion sense, she may well be my fave cutter.


Exhaustion is temporary.

Pain is temporary.

 CAKE however is forever. OK…not but there is always more CAKE to be had.

No comments:

Post a Comment