Search This Blog

Friday, August 16, 2019

Going Home

The minute Ten and I drove out of the Pittsburgh city limits, or so it seemed, the day went from bright sun to Stephen King-style dense mist. Ominous no? Was this a foreshadowing of the things to come?

Nope. Sometimes near impenetrable mist is just, ya know, weather.

I was still fried from the day before’s heat stroke inspiring walk around the Strip District so I was relieved that, when we got to Relieved why? This gave me the opportunity to do stuff that takes zero emotional energy like arranging and scheduling his optometrist appointment. This turned out to be a more involved process than expected. It’d be awesome if there was a visiting eye doc and there IS one BUT it’s not covered in Pop’s insurance. I’m a little confused – why aren’t visiting docs a standard offering in nursing homes? Why are insurance companies involved?

Doesn’t it make enormous and compassionate sense to have health care pros go to the  elderly, infirm patients as opposed to putting them through the struggle and stress?

Instead Daddy will be transported via the nursing home van (though the woman at the desk called it a truck. Now that I think on it, this is concerning). Also, they won’t take him unless I’m here. OK but this involved a game of 500 way tag. I texted Jen to find out when she could get off work to accompany me. Then I told the desk which day and times next month would work for us. She called the department store (it has an optometry department) who’d originally told her that Friday afternoons were good/open. Fairly simple, yes? Nope. No optometrist working on the first chosen date.

I confirmed that YES the eye doc’s do usually work on Friday afternoons. I picked another Friday, texted Jen to see if she could get that one off instead. She cleared it with her boss and got back to me. I spoke with the front desk lady who called the store. She stopped by Pop’s room to let me know that this new date didn’t work either We went another couple rounds before I asked “on what day next month can they give Daddy an afternoon appointment. Preferably a Friday or Monday?”

Luckily Jen’s employers are more elastic than this supposedly flexible shop.  (Friday afternoons next moth are totally open!)

WHY jump through all these back and forth hoops when Ten could go with me whenever (and he was standing RIGHT there)? Daddy’s VERY comfortable with Jen. The appointment, leaving his home and his nurse and sitting up in a wheelchair for a couple hours is gonna be stressful. Jen mellows him clean out. Me too.

Yes, Ten chills me out BIG TIME. I’m sure he’ll do the same for Pop after he gets to know him better.

This morning I’ve alerted Daddy to his responsibilities – he’s to sing happy birthday to me (it's Sunday, not today) AND eat cake. Very important. After that, Ten and I will motor back to the airport and then home where Coco will, doubtless, inflict her near lethal guilt. There’s catnip and treats in our future!

I'm Going Home – Rocky Horror Picture Show

No comments:

Post a Comment