Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Stop Me if You’ve Heard This One Already

The Empire of Light – Magriite
The general themes of my dreams have shifted over time.

In my 30s I dreamed of travel – that is, I’d have specific destinations in mind but arrival was never in the picture. Fer instance, I’d be taking Amtrak but, somewhere along the way the train would mutate into a skateboard or vanish entirely, leaving me to hoof it cross country to wherever.

DreamWorld, in my 30’s was about frustrated and frustrating journeys.

House of Stairs – Escher
In my 40s and 50s I dreamed houses – all kinds of freaky ass houses-that-jack-built, demolished joints, houses-that-Dali/Escher/Magritte built – and moving into them. At first I was moving solo and then The Amazing Bob was on the dream scene with me. Then Jen and Oni came on stage.

This is the point where the general tone of these nocturnal moviolas improved massively. Yes, I was still on occasionally frustrating journeys but I wasn’t alone. Trials were now fun, interesting adventures. 

DreamWorld in my 40s and 50s was about my head – where it was at.  And now Captain Beefheart’s mondo fab tune, My Head Is My Only House Unless It Rains, is spinning in ma tête.


Now in my 60s, after a few years of reliving TAB’s final hard, painful years each night, I seem to be continuing on the moving house theme.

The other night found Jen and I moving back into our old Cambridge digs, only now they were bright, airy and freshly painted a gleaming white. I was excited about this move. TAB wasn’t there though.

Where was he? Jen told me that he was staying in a nursing home but this was just temporary, he’d be home with us after he recovered. Despite the reassurance, I was devastated. AAAAAND it was at this decidedly UNcheery point that I woke.
In last night’s picture show I was moving back into Brighton. I was by myself – no Jen, Oni or TAB – and yet, I was happy as hell – thrilled even. The landlord gave me a choice of either a one bedroom or a studio. My solo tour started with the enormous, big windowed studio. The woodwork was gloriously baroque and painted new-tenant-gloss-white. I was in love with it.

This is definitely a different sort of dream than I’m used to having of late. On my own, alone but happy. What’s this mean?

Long ago, I learned not to interpret my nighttime adventures literally.

I won’t be laving Valhalla. I won’t be leaving Jen and Oni (OR Ten who has yet to come onstage in DreamLand). I think all this means is that I’m entering a calmer, more peaceful-ish, more happy-with-myself part of my adventure.

MAYBE.

No comments:

Post a Comment