Search This Blog

Sunday, December 22, 2019

Counting Down the Days

When I was a kid I’d be counting down the days until Christmas. Even after I stopped believing in good ol' St. Nick, even after all I got from my mother was socks and underwear (while my brother, mia madre’s beloved, got a huge Santa sack of toys and games), even after this day became the scene of my parents biggest, take-no-prisoners arguments of the year – I looked forward to it.

Why? It seems the entire world is hyped to the max with expectations of a perfect, excitingly happy, merriest of all days. That’s contagious even in the face of reality. Also, my father always bought me a record album – one that I actually wanted. He gave me the 1812 Overture (cannons? BRILLIANT! Had to have it!), Fanfare for the Common Man, the latest Paul Simon or Elton John.

After moving to Boston I found easy excuses not to go “home” for the holidays. Taking the bus took WAY too long (14 -16 hours EACH way) – I couldn’t spare that kind of the time away from work. Flying was better but totes unaffordable. The first time I did either was also the last.

It seemed to me that I could craft a holiday tradition wholly independent of traditional traditions. I spent a few Christmases with co-workers, a couple happily, peacefully on my own and then, THEN I discovered the joy of spending a quiet day with Chinese food and movies.

The Amazing Bob was def amenable to my MUCH preferred tradition and now, so is Ten. This will be our second Christmas together.

We Valhallans, the four of us, have a delish brekkie (WITH calorically indulgent coffee drinks!) before Jen and Oni head out to her family’s big, enjoyable fete. Ten and I will then lounge about, reading, before heading out to pick up General Tso’s shrimp, scallion pancakes, crab rangoons, tofu with eggplant in garlic sauce and maybe some sushi too!

AND then? Rogue One. Yes, we’ve seen it before but not for awhile. Seems like a perfect, realistic even, hope-filled flick…ya know.

Coco and Umlaut get big plates Chicken of the Sea for their holiday meal AND a little catnip digestif. Good kittens deserve a special meal…DUH.

Christmas – I made it my own without the pain, expectations and hullabaloo of others. So yeah, I look forward to this pleasant, fun, low key, mellow, yummy day.

NOW I’ve just gotta get past the nasty-ass traffic, annoying packed shops and insanely long lines (even at the pharmacy – is everyone stocking up on Valium to get through their holidaze?). Then the annoyance of the season will be all over 'cept for the snow and cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment