Search This Blog

Friday, January 3, 2020

I Got My Date

Next Friday. The tenth. That’s when Doc Barker’s gonna slice into my bean and take out that obese, rottwellian eggplant that’s cluttering my skull and making the business of living life an onerous challenge.

I can’t wait. That is, I’m VERY much looking forward to getting this over with. Done. Finito.

I’ve got a lot of brill support – Ten, Jen, Oni, Hillel, Paula and Celeste.

What can you say to a person who’s just told you they’re gonna have major, brain opening surgery in seven days? What can you say to a bomb of news like that? Ya gotta say something – if you don't offer some words, you run the risk of being seen as cold, callous and uncaring or as a self-obsessed assholian twat.

What to say is actually easy.
“Wow” and “I don’t know what to say” are perfectly acceptable responses. Of course they are! I don’t expect Obama-esque pearls of wisdom or Oprah-ish emeralds of empathy. “Wow” and “I don’t know what to say” aren’t conversation killers – they’re openers, the equivalent of appetizers for the main convo.

Also, believe me, I’ll have things to say – snippets, volumes, convoluted rambles and/or quips depending on how well I know you and my mood at the mo.

Feel free to offer a full-throated “well, doesn’t THIS just blow monstro bantha wang?!” See, not only is this an accurate assessment of the sitch, you will have made me smile or laugh. This being all ideal and shit.

If you live in the Valhalla area, have ability and inclination, you could ask “how can I help?” I’ll probably just shrug and suggest bringing me an order of Fusion Kitchen's brill spicy string beans once I get home from MGH-land. Pretty sure that’s precisely what’s called for in a standard brain surgery recovery.

Now then, what do I actually need RIGHT now? Some zentastic calm.
(And good fucking luck with that now that our desperate, criminal prez has decided to murderously wag the dog, endanger the nation and destroy even more lives.)
If not for the big expense, I’d zoom off to the Silica for a coupla days. It's the ultimate in stress release. This'd be a convenient time to be wealthy. Oopsie, I forgot to do that!

It occurs to me that there are hotels which feature in-room hot tubs. No, I can’t go all floaty in a jacuzzi and the water’s not infused with all those happy minerals but still – a relaxing, possibly even chimerical treat.

I’m cataloging the myriad pre-op appointments in my calendar now. I'm noting things I gotta (or want to) get done before I’m outta commission for a few weeks and making a question list for the kind medicos (how soon can I go back to the gym? can I do rehab at home with visiting rehabbers or do I have to be inpatient? how long before I can travel/fly? will the murderous Treasonweasel Crime Family please be vanquished by the time I’m sent home?).

I’m prepping, making ready.

8 comments:

  1. You could hie thyself to Inman Square: https://www.inmanoasis.com/hot-tubs/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I apologize for not commenting more often. I appreciate your daily posts and especially like the photos, art and felines. I’ve gone back to Nov 16 several times to admire the black cat on a tie dye background. It’s purrfect and makes me smile.

    I’m visualizing Doc Barker as a superhero with a silver cape and matching boots, wielding a laser that swiftly releases the rogue alien orb from your brain. He flings it into a stainless-steel bucket and sends it to the lab where it’s sliced to bits and cast into a fiery furnace. Meanwhile, your brain stretches, and sighs with deep satisfaction, barely bruised its neurons spinning sweet dreams as you quickly recover.

    Princess Nurse Coco will lay her paws and soft belly upon you transmitting kitty healing energy. Ten will use his hands to whisper encouragement and prepare yummy quiche to strengthen your body. You’ll sip wine and watch movies with Jen and Oni. Spring will blossom and you’ll be walking on the beach at sunrise, inhaling the salt air and smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO damn much, Pam. That was beautiful.

      Also, I'm gonna be sure to tell Doc Barker your vision of him and, once my hand/eye coordination returns I'm gonna paint it!

      Delete
  3. For a little fun, go to the website Girls & Their Cats. Wonderful photos!

    About BriAnne Wills
    BriAnne Wills is a New York–based fashion and beauty photographer and the creator of Girls and Their Cats. Originally from Oregon, she currently lives in Brooklyn with her husband and two cats, Liza and Tuck.

    About Girls and Their Cats
    GATC is a photo series created by BriAnne as a way to debunk the crazy cat lady stereotype and to showcase cat-owning women in a positive light. She’s photographed over 300 women around the US, all as unique as their feline friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, what a truckload of pain, anxiety and frustration you've had to haul around these past weeks. Fear, too, I imagine. Sending heartfelt positive vibes. But next week, your Doc will release the lever and that mound of shitty feeling will slough off! We know that tumors can be successfully sliced out of a brain and some crazy cats will even ski steep western slopes with a hole in their skull (did my Dad wear a helmet even?). Your sport will be thermal soaks, of course. Until then, steady on, and let me know if you need anything Scandinavian from MN to help with your recovery. SUSAN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah – your father's a wild man and inspiration to me! Having said that, thermal soaks are way more my preferred sport :-)

      What do I need from MN? Pictures!

      Delete