Search This Blog

Monday, March 2, 2020

My Polytheist Starter Set

Let’s face it, monotheism isn’t really working out. Honestly. Look at Christianity, specifically the Evangelical brand  – could a bigger bunch of corrupt, rapacious grifters, dimwitted rubes and all around vile hypocrites be found?

No.

Seems to me, if ya gotta have a supreme being in your life, why not have more than one? Monotheism is heinously autocratic whereas polytheism is nicely democratic. Dig?

Fer instance, the Greeks had a fine-ass crew.

There was Apollo, god of the sun, light, music, poetry, song, dance, healing, plagues, prophecy, knowledge, order, beauty, and more. Cool ('cept for the plagues, of course).

While our man Apollo covered a lot of ground, I think you’d have to agree that he pairs nicely with, fer instance, Dionysus, the god of wine, theater and ‘ritual madness.’

Other fine figures in on the team are Hephaestus (god of fire, metalworking, stone masonry, sculpture, etc.) and Athena (goddess of wisdom, courage, inspiration, civilization, law, justice, math, strength and the arts/crafts in general).

Naturally, I’d welcome Poseidon, the god of freshwater and the sea, to my deity collection.

And, as long as I’m gods shopping, how ‘bout Kali, the Hindu goddess who was the destroyer of evil forces and a demon slayer. Don’t ya think, in our current Republi/Fascist, Demonic Don/Mercenary, On-the-Take Mitch age we could use an heroic babe like Kali?

There’s the Hindu god, Ganapati AKA Ganesha – remover of obstacles, patron of arts, sciences, intellect and wisdom. Remover of obstacles – that’s key, to say the least. I can see an altar going up here in my immediate future.

Also too, how’s 'bout Thoth? He’s the Egyptian of god of wisdom, writing, science, magic, art, judgment and the dead. The more gods of wisdom, science and art the better. N'est-ce pas?

What would my church be without Bast, the Egyptian goddess of protection and cats? I need both, ya know?

Or Wakinyan (Thunder or Thunder Beings) because…how fucking cool is this?
They’re the Lakota spirits of the sky.
Wakinyan are huge winged beings that human beings cannot see because they are shielded by thick clouds. Thunder is made by the sound of their voices, and lightning is created when they open and close their eyes.  (source)
Of course there are dipshit gods out there too like Baldur, the Norse god of light, joy, purity, and the summer sun. Sounds good BUT this supposedly awesome, beloved god was killed DEAD by a sprig of mistletoe, of all things, thrown at him by a blind dude. Doesn’t sound very godlike to me!

I'll undoubtedly always be in the We'll find out when we die and NO, I don't need to know what's what right now camp, regarding the existence of a god or plural gods and goddesses. It's fun to think on though.

2 comments:

  1. Then there was Isis, the Egyptian goddess of medicine, who might come in handy for the demon of coronaviruses.

    Shinto has some pretty cool deities as well.

    could a bigger bunch of corrupt, rapacious grifters, dimwitted rubes and all around vile hypocrites be found?

    Try Riyadh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I see the name Isis, the Dylan tune starts playing in my head – AWESOMENESS!

      I don't know anything about Shinto – must look and see if I can borrow a few gods. The more the merrier.

      As for Riadh – I'll take a pass :-)

      Delete