Search This Blog

Friday, August 14, 2020

Venus de Scarlo

Ya know, this recovery shit is hard bloody work.

First there's all the sleeping. What's up with that shit!? OK, OK, I get it – I'm on a zillion different pain meds – for very good reason. I mean...take a gander at that motherfucking incision! Route 66 is a back-fucking-country road next to me. OH, yes it is.

I was anticipating something a little, well, more petite BUT the ultra awesome Doc Coumans nailed five, not just those measly two, motherfucking meningiomas.
An aside: motherfucker and motherfucking are the words for the day. Alright, I hear you, deaf as I am, "when are those NOT your words for the day, Donna?" OK fine, nevermind.
Here's something I didn't anticipate pre-surgery – needing to tell a nurse to put her mask back on NOW.
Preface, the door to my room had a big sign proclaiming my deafness. On the white board with patient pertinent data was a note that I use an app on my phone for communication.
This obtuse human, clad in a pastel pink blazer (which made me think/hope she was a volunteer – honestly, who, over the age of 10, would voluntarily wear pastel pink?), entered the room, woke me up and started yammering a mile a minute – I could tell because her mask was moving at light speed. I held up my traffic officer STOP hand and said I'm deaf. Before I could whip out my phone and put on my reading glasses, she yanks down her mask and, leaning over close to me (as though I could "hear" her better if she was close in to my face) says "you can read lips though.".

Nurse/Guard Coco is on the job
My response was deeply controlled (mostly because I was three days post op and could barely move). I did NOT rip off her head and shit down her neck. See? I can so handle shit in a mature manner.

Now, you may recall from my past lipreading rants that:
  • My ability to lipread is NOT your Get Out of Communication Jail Free card – I need to know you for a bit, learn how you form words and sometimes that's not enough. There are some folks I just can't read at all.
  • It is impossible to lipread with 100% comprehension ESPECIALLY when I've NO context to work from. This presumed volunteer appears at my bedside in the middle of the night – I had NO fucking clue what she wanted.
  • Important medical shit should NEVER be done solely with lipreading – too much is missed. I'm filling in the many blanks with guesses and a little jedi mindreading. NOT foolproof!
  • The room was almost pitch dark with the hall light on behind her, obscuring her lips almost entirely. If I can't see your lips clearly, I can't read em. Dig?
I tried to calmly explain WHY lipreading wasn't going to work but she cut me off with some defensive explanation about a friend of hers who knows ASL AND lipreads. What the motherfucking fuck, mes amis?! That just flat out did it for me. I told/scolded/demanded "Put your mask back on NOW!" I left off the "oh, so all deafies are exactly alike in your tiny brain?" and "nice slam to your patient – I bet your deaf "friend" would be SO proud of you."

She masked up and took my stats which surprised me. I thought, gee, they must be training volunteers to do more to make up for COVID overwhelmed nurses.

I found out the following morning, after I complained about this volunteer to EVERY nurse and doc who came in that this ignorant twat had been my night nurse. SHEESH! 

If I come down with Plague45, I'll know precisely who gave it to me.

4 comments:

  1. I have learned so much from you about communicating. Thank you! Big hug to Jen for the post-op update and the TLC she provides.

    Your scar is impressive and so are you! You'll be strolling at Nantasket in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I didn't know you were deaf. Having sent you a couple of music videos, I feel chagrined. You seem to be doing well (pain aside), I wish you a speedy recovery. Found this on youtube watched with the volume off. Sweet actually. Hope it brightens your day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUh4JnmcyAE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and no need for chagrin! If I know the tune, watching the vid brings it back into my bean – I can ALMOST hear it again and I love that. Also, the Fight Song was really cool. Much appreciated!

      Delete