Search This Blog

Thursday, October 15, 2020

TeeVee

You may know (or not) that I’m not a big fan of the boob tube. Dunno why – it just doesn’t, generally, grab me.


After The Amazing Bob died though, me and the teevee were tight. Specifically, binge watching Big Bang Theory helped me escape my extreme sorrow and reconnect with the universe outside of my giant loss.

Eventually, I ran out of DVDs and no other shows captured my frayed nerves (and, I found, I could only re-watch Star Trek eps so many times). I went back to reading escapist sci-fi and mysteries. I attempted knitting (unsurprisingly, I don’t have the calm mind for this meditative endeavor). I found that I could paint again. YEA!

And then I met Ten. He’s not a teevee watcher either. Good thing since I can’t find the remote and the screen doesn’t seem to have an “on” button or a channel changing dial. Yes, teevee tech-wise, I’m stuck in the ‘70s.

I do, regularly, see some highly selective offerings over at Jen and Oni’s place. We’ve just started watching the latest Star Trek series – Picard. So far (just viewed the second ep last night) it’s fabulous. My only complaint is Doctor Agnes Jurati played by the actress Alison Pill. Her character is a former Starfleet doctor and an expert on synthetic life forms (e.g., Data)

In real life Pill is 34 years old – BARELY old enough to be a just-starting-out doc (with ot without specializations) here in 21st century reality. Plus, she looks more like 18 than mid 30s with her cartoonishly button nose and jarringly babyish pastel outfits. All she lacks is a twee little pink bow in her hair. On top of that, she plays the part with all the gravity of a sugared up toddler let loose on the playground for the first time.

Hopefully this utterly miscast character evolves and quickly. Right now she makes Doogie Howser look like a wise, seen-it-all-and-then-some elder.

Jen, Oni and I are also watching a British show – Crazyhead.
Bowling alley worker Amy and nonconformist Raquel kick some serious demon butt while also facing their inner demons as they navigate their early 20s. (source)
It’s fun, not deep in any way (so far) which is exactly what I need.

Teevee – it’s about ducking reality, dodging this insane dimension we occupy. Given this, I’m sure it’ll come as no surprise that I’m not watching the farcical Amy Covid Barrett confirmation hearings. Hell’s bells, even her Notre Dame colleagues don’t believe she should score the gig. Fer fuck’s sake, she can’t even list the five freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution.
As Amy Coney Barrett was undergoing hours of questioning Tuesday, on the second day of her confirmation hearing for appointment to the Supreme Court, more than 100 faculty members back at the University at Notre Dame, where she had been a law professor for 20 years, were signing an online letter opposing her appointment. (source)
Yeah, this also means I won’t be watching Preznint Maggot Riddled Pumpkinhead’s “Town Hall” tonight either. I’ve got enough aggro in my head without watching this preening and posturing, drug addled pile of toxic waste.

No thank you!


4 comments:

  1. May not be something you can watch, but there's a miniseries on Netflix called "Unbelievable," which is one the best crime dramas I've ever watched, starring two women playing detectives who solve a serial rapist case. The characters redefine the phrase 'strong women." Based in harsh reality, but damn, well made...

    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7909970/

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we had a tv we could tune it to NBC for the start of drumpf uck' show THEN switch to ABC and Joe Biden debating drumpf uck's empty chair at the originally scheduled event the fat coward drumpf uck chicken out of. If we were up that late 😏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if we can connect to either station. I've only used the screen with the DVD player. Hell, even if we could, I'd rather just be in bed with you, Coc and a good book.

      Delete