Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

The Bean Update (and we're not talkin' Goya)

Saw my ever awesome brain surgeon, Doc Barker, yesterday morning. Sadly, there’s no good news. At best they can keep shit from getting worse – keep me from dying. Well, that’s good. eh?

I'm doubling up on my leg lifts, clamshells, etc and hoping for, but not expecting, a miracle. Surgery will be later this month followed by two weeks to a month in rehab. SUCH FUN!

The main issue, if I’m remembering accurately (a total crap shoot) is brain swelling. We’re NOT talking about a growth in smarts here. The brain itself is chubbing up like me after a big birthday dinner.

My understanding is that, if removing as much of the tumor as they can get out does NOT bring the swelling down far enough, we'll switch over to radiation. Not great but it'll keep me breathing. There's a three to five month wait after surgery to see if it did enough to warrant (or not) radiation. They can't take out all of the meningioma because it’s laying over some big deal blood vessel. Joy.

Basically, my head’s a mess.

Also, and this is the the extra special fun part, I can, basically, say goodbye to my hair. Ya see, I’ve had SO DAMN much brain surgery over the years, and if I live through this, there’s more to come, that my bean looks like a street map where all the roads are eight lane mega freeways. So, I guess, when I can start wearing head coverings again, I’ll be rockin’ the Dead slouchy beanie look or short awesomely patterned pillbox caps. Yes, every physical crap-out is a fashion opportunity.

All in all NOT happy here this morning.

2 comments:

  1. Doc Barker is creative. I Believe the options will be better once he gets inside your noggin. Start planning how you'll raise hell in rehab. ;-)

    ReplyDelete