Search This Blog

Sunday, May 30, 2021

Life on Random Planet

It’s like this – I’m still limited in how much I can get around. I have good days and not so wonderful ones. Yesterday, on top of not brimming with energy, the temp didn’t get above 50º. There were 23 mph winds mixed with freezing rain. Even if I HAD the energy to walk down the porch stairs and our driveway, there’s NO fucking way I would’ve. Can we all say Magnificent Fall Risk?

So, I sat in my bedroom reading my new book as well as various blogs, Twitter and napping with Coco. I’m not exactly leading an exciting life here.

Jen came in to rescue me though. I probably mentioned already the we’re rewatching TrueBlood. I expect that I also noted that Sookie annoys the shit outta me. She’s got the foresight of a not too bright five year old.

The shows are depressing as all hell right now (we’re currently in season four). Everyone’s either dying nasty violent or tragically breaking up with their beloved. Yeah, we’re fast forwarding through a shit-ton of scenes.

One thing Jen pointed out – Buffy’s villains were a lot more fun. I mean, c’mon,  The Mayor? Spike? Glory? Angelus? Anyanka? Warren and Jonathan? Etc! That made the show a lot more entertaining.

TrueBlood is more of a morose soap opera. I just don’t find that appealing. So, you might ask, why are we still watching? With the fast forward button it IS amusingly escapist. OK, just barely.

You may also be wondering, ‘if Buffy was so awesome, why don’t you quit whining and watch that again?’ Because we’ve already seen every episode ten times. I probably could, however, view the bad Willow eps again. GREAT IDEA! We’ll watch the season with Evil Willow!

Meanwhile, the next installment of Lucifer came out earlier this week BUT we don’t have Netflix (I think) so need to wait for video. Now that everything’s on disk, is calling it ‘video’ wrong or does it just mark me as an old broad (which I am)?

That book I’m reading, Casual Rex by Eric Garcia. Vincent Rubio is a velociraptor and a hard boiled PI too. He works in Los Angeles. This is a world where dinosaurs exist along with people but need to wear elaborate latex human costumes in order to co-exist discretely/anonymously. Why? People can’t get along with each other let alone sentient dinos. The book's amusing and I like the film noir angle. I just started it – we’ll see if my enthusiasm continues.

From my reentry into following the news, I see there’s some big dust up about teaching the reality of racism in the U.S. What the motherfucking fuck? I was 60 fucking years old before I learned about the Greenwood District massacre in Tulsa. How fucked up is that? Very!

If Black and Brown children are old enough at seven and ten to experience it, white kids are old enough to learn about it and understand that it’s wrong, wrong, WRONG

N'est-ce pas and shit?

2 comments:

  1. May I suggest The Mandalorian? I'm not a big Star Wars fan - they kinda lost me with the prequels - but you don't have to know anything about the franchise to enjoy it. I am having fun watching for winking references to the classic westerns - one episode I was watching & suddenly thought, Hey wait - this is the plot of The Magnificent Seven! Pablo Pascal even makes his voice sound like Eastwood's Man With No Name. (The Mandalorian, of course, ALSO has no name. See what I mean?) Anyway I am very much enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watched Mandalorian and LOVED it.

      I was tremendously disappointed in the Star Wars prequels too (to say the VERY least) but really enjoyed Rogue One and The Force Awakens though. I'm hoping for more Star Trek TV shows and movies soon. I'm more of a Star Trek type (especially after those awful SW prequels).

      Delete