Search This Blog

Thursday, September 30, 2021

Cringe

Do we all (or most of us) have an ex-
friend/boss/beau/whatever with whom we behaved badly or at least embarrassingly? Then, eons later when the person comes to mind, serious cringe action re-ignites. C’mon, I can’t be the only one!

I had a dream last night about one of these—an ex-boss. Jim was genuinely nice and kind. He was smart and terrifically competent too. My excuse for the wincingly crap behavior? I was between surgeries, still had hearing but knew the ax was gonna fall any minute. I was tense and nervous and more than a little whacked out. I probably owe everyone I knew from that time an apology.

Okay, if I’m honest with myself and shit, I was probably jealous too.

Jim had, to my mind, a picture perfect life. He and his wife owned a duplex in Cambridge. Awesome enough but they also had the knowledge and skills to renovate and friends to help them do it too.

Once they had kids, there was enough dosh, from rent and wife’s high paying gig, to move to a posh suburb and buy a Cape vacation home too. All this PLUS ex-boss was able to quit his job. He could stay home to take care of the kids.

Yeah, I was jealous.

Not that I wanted children (never have) but I totally would’ve LOVED the luxury of staying home. I could paint, pot and have the time and space to market them as well.

I feel that I owe my ex-boss a sorry-I-was-such-jerk email but, honestly, I don’t imagine he remembers me.

Good?

No comments:

Post a Comment