Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Hava Nagila

I woke up with Hava Nagila playing in my head. Which version? Was it the one performed by:

Nope. Just the song itself. When I was a wee tot, my parents were keen on Harry Belafonte. I imagine I heard it first from his Carnegie Hall album.

Hava nagila
Hava nagila
Hava nagila ve-nismeḥa

Hava neranenah
Hava neranenah
Hava neranenah ve-nismeḥa

Uru, uru aḥim!
Uru aḥim be-lev sameaḥ

Uru aḥim, uru aḥim!
Be-lev sameaḥ
I was today years old when I learned that this translates as:
Let’s rejoice
Let’s rejoice
Let’s rejoice and be happy

Let’s sing
Let’s sing
Let’s sing and be happy

Awake, awake, my brothers!
Awake my brothers with a happy heart

Awake, my brothers, awake, my brothers!
With a happy heart

 I'm seeing Doc Plotkin later today. We'll talk about tumors (both brain and spine), my seemingly never-ending, rocky road recovery and my upcoming protonization. Thrilling! Maybe this is why my unconscious was serenading me with Hava Nagila. It's trying to psych me up for this next battle.

Apparently, I've the subconscious of an annoyingly perky cheerleader.

No comments:

Post a Comment