Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Good News/Bad News

Our lovely view
Traffic into town yesterday was so miserable that, despite allotting 90 minutes to crawl 14 miles into MGH, I almost missed my proton appointment. The one good bit was that, in the sea of ugly grey, black and white SUVs , I spotted a bright purple coupe. So then, slow, homely commute but, in the mundane mob, it was nice to see there’s one person with a bit of style.

We checked into the Holiday Inn in East Cambridge where we have a brilliant view of the now defunct Sav-Mor Discount Liquors mart, the ratty Lechmere green line stop and a decrepit do-it-yourself car wash.

Slow down, Joe, I'm a rock-and-roll man
I've twiddled my thumbs in a dozen odd bands
And you ain't seen nothing 'til you've been
In a motel, baby, like the Holiday Inn

Holiday Inn—Elton John (lyrics by Bernie Taupin)

On top of that, their complementary “continental” breakfast was pretty damn dreadful. Note to self, continental breakfast is defined (by Merriam-Webster) as a light breakfast (as of rolls or toast and coffee). Cool, cool and Ten said his cinnamon roll was good. The coffee wasn’t wonderful but better than gas station brew.

I made the obscene mistake of trying the “cheese” omelet. Yes, omelets are not generally part of a continental breakfast spread so maybe I should have anticipated that it would be cold, flat and made with pasteurized process cheese product versus actual, real cheese. If cheese omelets were sold in vending machines THIS is what they'd be like. NEVER again.

Oh and no one’s wearing a mask either. //shudder//

I’m just guessing here but I suspect Mr. Bernie Taupin was being a bit sarcastic when he wrote the last couple lines of his ode to this hotel chain.
Okay, the sunrise view was definitely more attractive

The good news here is that, this morning, our drive into MGH will be about 10 minutes versus 90. IF I was up to it, which I’m sadly not, we could even walk there. The hospital is just a mile and a half away.

After yesterday’s protoning and before my late afternoon CT scan, I made the mistake of doomscrolling which sparked a head full of rage.

Just FYI, I want all the MAGAt/Tea Bagger/Republi/Fascist idiots, their donors, advisors, reps and senators to suffer the loss and pain they vote for and legislate on the rest of us. THEN I want this benighted earth salted with their oh-so-seriously deserved tears. Maybe a forest of giant redwoods will spring up in their stead. FINALLY something good would come from these infinitesimal, cruel, ugly hypocritical hearts.

Yes. I know. I’m always looking on the bright side aren’t I? I’m just kittens, sunshine and daffodils 24/7. I know.

I don’t know what we’ll do today. I’m keen on avoiding the maskless hordes so, most likely, we’ll go lounge and read in a nice quiet park. Thrilling, huh? I can’t wait until I’m able to walk around more!


No comments:

Post a Comment