Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2022

64+1

Did you know? No one seems to be wearing masks anymore. I’ve likely kvetched about this already. When Ten and I went to Fratelli’s to buy my birthday carrot cake yesterday I was the only masked soul. In the last two weeks there’ve been 8,224 new confirmed cases here in Massachusetts alone.

COVID's not done with us yet.
I only mention it but, of the areas with the highest case levels, two (Martha’s Vineyard and Nantasket) are big, BIG vaca destinations at this time of year. The third, Springfield, is a Republi/Fascist area. 

Yep, no surprises here.
~~~
I understood that my oddness is a half-broken treasure.
~ Sherman Alexie

This morning, the day after the beginning of my 65th year on the planet, I have Emerson Lake and Palmer’s album Brain Salad Surgery spinning in my head.

I’m feeling good—making decent progress with walking on my own (no walker, no cane) BUT I’ve noticed something deeply disturbing. Though my weight hasn’t increased, I seem to resemble a saggy, baggy, oversized suit more than a human being. I’ve discovered cellulite AND at least one white hair! That and I can’t find even one bra that’s both supportive and comfortable.  

This, this right here, is NOT fair.

Did I look like this before my surgery marathon? Did I need to moisturize three times a day before I started living in Mass General Hospital and Spaulding Rehab?

Having said this, I like aging. Most importantly because this means I'm not dead yet. Also, getting older has brought valuable insights, knowledge and fortitude. That's all good, right? Why does this need to be accompanied by gibbous blobishness.
~~~
Word for Today:
Meliorism
   noun
the doctrine that the world tends to become better or may be made better by human effort.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Yeah, that’s not an idea I can buy. Sure, theoretically it’s possible but, here in real actual life, where us predator types are busy killing our fellow 2-leggeds, other beautiful wild, sentient beings and our home—the only planet we’ve got, the concept seems grossly, incredibly, obscenely naïve.

The fate of a world isn't determined by its best examples, but by its worst. It takes a few to destroy the many-'specially when even the best of you can be dragged down into the mire. Judging by your example-brother against brother, friend against friend-your people have such a potential for violence, for sheer unvarished wickedness- I've got every confidence you'll destroy yourselves before you develop your first interstellar engine. We've got nothin' to fear from you.
~ Alien scout, The Outer Limits, Heart's Desire

There is no document of civilization that is not also a document of barbarism.
~ Walter Benjamin

There's more fellowship among snakes than among mankind.
Wild beasts spare those with similar markings.

~ Juvenal

No comments:

Post a Comment