Search This Blog

Saturday, September 24, 2022

The Little Cake

I don’t remember how old I was when I first read and fell in love with The Little Prince by Antoine Saint-Exupery.
The Little Prince is an honest and beautiful story about loneliness, friendship, sadness, and love. The prince is a small boy from a tiny planet (an asteroid to be precise), who travels the universe, planet-to-planet, seeking wisdom. On his journey, he discovers the unpredictable nature of adults. “All grown-ups were once children… but only a few of them remember it.” (source)

One of my father’s friends gave me the book. I have no idea when or why he did but I remember feeling flattered that he thought I could read and understand such an advanced (to my young mind) tale. After reading, I wondered how the hell Daddy's friend knew, totally grokked, that this story and drawings were just what I needed.

The story captured me, spoke directly to me, enveloped me. Why does this come up now? //shrugs// I don’t have my childhood copy anymore. Clearly I need to invest in a new one.

And speaking of books, I’m fresh out. *GASP, HORROR*  Incredibly, there are no bookstores in my not so little town. The closet place is, if traffic is light, a half an hour drive away. That’s bullshit! Mind you, I’m a library and kindle reader now. Still, I want to see a nice, wide selection—featured authors and new tales. Browsing in bookstores is one of life's peaceful joys. N'est-ce pas?

Wholly unrelated, did you know that, before trees got all statuesque and shit, 24 feet tall by three feet wide mushrooms supposedly covered the earth.

From around 420 to 350 million years ago, when land plants were still the relatively new kids on the evolutionary block and “the tallest trees stood just a few feet high,” giant spires of life poked from the Earth. “The ancient organism boasted trunks up to 24 feet (8 meters) high and as wide as three feet (one meter),” said National Geographic in 2007. With the help of a fossil dug up in Saudi Arabia scientists finally figured out what the giant creature was: a fungus. (We think.) (source)
Obviously my question is, were these ‘shrooms psilocybin, poisonous OR the kind you put in sauces and on top of pizzas?

Finally, it’s a windy, chilly but sunny Caturday. Cake came downstairs to say hello and take in the view from my rollator’s lofty-ish promontory. After wishing Jen a fine morning, he zipped back upstairs to the warmth of his new favorite blanket.

He’s such a good boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment