Search This Blog

Thursday, June 8, 2023

Art Day

I got an email yesterday from the wife of an old dear friend. She included an image file of a painting I apparently did more than 40 years ago and asked if I remembered it. No. I didn’t remember it but it def looked (subject matter and color choices) like something I could’ve done.

It was absolutely awful though—embarrassingly bad.  As I cringingly viewed the pic, my first thought (after accepting that, yes, this was, in fact, my work) was, Christ almighty, no wonder I didn’t get into grad school (mind, I only applied to two schools).

No, you don’t get to see the canvas. Yes, it is exactly that mortifying. To be utterly charitable, the piece might best fit into the naïve or outsider art movements

I sincerely wish the painting could be vaporized just by my wishing it so. Seeing it caused me to question whether I’ve ever painted anything decent. (yes) Have I always been an awkward, untalented mess and friends haven’t wanted to tell me?

I looked though some of my past work and, happily, the answer is no. I’m no Michelangelo, Klimt or Kehinde Wiley of course but I’m not in the outsider or naïve leagues either.

So then, here are a few of my better pieces. Maybe you’ve seen them all before, maybe not. I post them today to remind myself that I don’t completely suck. I just wish Craig had one of my better, later works.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you included the rabbit-headed nude. That's always been one of my faves. I never fail to get compliments on your abstracts that are hanging in my office and I still stare at the one hanging over my stairs of the two figures facing each other, each lost in their own thoughts yet somehow together. I don't know which older piece you're talking about, but yes, you've got some serious painting chops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a painting I did before you and I met—incredibly, we haven't always known each other. Yes, I have a hard time believing that too.

      Delete
    2. Wait, what? BEFORE we met? Did paint even exist before the universe had cooled into planet form?

      Delete
    3. actually? No. I had to crush berries to make the pigments and pluck pterodactyl feathers to use as paintbrushes. NO WONDER that painting sucked!

      Delete