Search This Blog

Monday, October 29, 2012

Shelter From The Storm

The scene before high tide and this RILLY doesn't convey the full wildness
So then, meine Freunde, Frankenstorm really is a going concern here. Waddya know?

So many times there’s just such a ton of The Sky Is Falling, The Sky Is Falling from the media, the local news and weather fetishists and it all turns out to be molto rumore per nulla. Well, not this time. We’ve got a bona fide grand scale tempest.

I’m just stunningly happy that I’m home, inside, warm and the power is back on after a relatively short stroll down the street for a bag of chips type outing.

Thing 1 and Thing 2
Jen and Oni (or Thing One and Thing Two as they’re now known) actually went into work which, thank the gods of reason, closed early.

Me, I stayed home to care for and comfort our herd of cat (Coco, Rocco, Gaston, Skitter, Rosie and Thelma...to say nothing of our possum Estelle, Rocky the raccoon and Flower, our skunk) and annoy The Amazing Bob™ with my continual questions and requests (‘when will the power be back on, huh? Huh?,’ ‘Can you make oatmeal butterscotch, spinach cookies when we get power back?,’ ‘where’s my fav yellow flashlight?,’ ‘I think I should go down to the seawall and take pics -- wanna come with?,’ ‘think I shouldn’t go for that trike ride right now?’ OK, that last question was just to get his goat since all my other ones had thoroughly primed him for a good snit. The poor man’s a saint, I’m tellin’ ya!)

Tomorrow, if the Storm Gods decide to take a day or 6 off, I’ll make flight plans for my wonderful niece Helen and I. We’ll fly into Pittsburgh, her from Dallas and me from Boston. We’ll then make the long drive to the small town where my folks, her grandparents, live.

It seems fitting that my mother would move toward making her final curtain call during The Storm of the Century™. Her and Vati always did have a dramatic flare in addition to that giant Love to End All Loves thingie. They’d have made Burton and Taylor weep with envy,

Shelter From The Storm -- Bob Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment