Search This Blog

Friday, August 9, 2013

Massive Immensity Day

Wednesday was the day. The giant, mondo, enormous day of massive immensity.

And shit.

It was the day that my Helen, her husband John, big old furry dog Juda and her wee herd of felines (Mr. Grey and Raven) arrived, with moving van, in Hoosick Falls, New York.

From Dallas. For good.

They’ve moved into the Maderer famiglia’s ancestral home. Grandma and Grandpa bought the house, then a duplex, in the very early 1940s. They performed big time renovations in order to carve out waiting and examination rooms for Grandpa -- the town doc. The rest of the house was their home.

I’ve so many wonderful, happy memories from there. When I’d get to visit Grandma and Grandpa ALL ON MY OWN like a big girl, I slept in Daddy’s old room with its big windows and nautical themed wallpaper. The giant, dark oak dresser was filled with his old toys and games. Looking through all those 1940s era playthings was like time traveling. While touching his elderly steel train cars I could just about hear Daddy's favorite childhood song 'Mairzy Doats' done by the Merry Macs.

That was my room again, when I would visit Aunt Mary Ann while she took care of Grandpa in his last years.

Time passed -- Grandpa, Grandma and Mary Ann have all moved on to that big Upstate New York in the sky. A new generation has moved in and will make that wonderful home on Main Street their own. There’s so much work to be done before the nifty, neato keen changes can begin. The kitchen and bathrooms need work just to be usable and the big yard -- oof, it’s a jungle. It’s been maybe as many as 35 years since Grandpa cared for his beautiful lawn (hardy grass seeds from Viet Nam!) and Grandma took meticulous care of her tea rose bushes, which limned the big yard. I’d follow her around the yard, holding the jar where she’d deposit the beetles she’d pulled off the large red blooms.

Maybe, next summer, there’ll be a gorgeous garden again. Jen and I can help.

I drove my tremendous loaner Smart Car, Dragon (yes, though I only had him a couple of days, I named him. I’m so damned twee, I squeak. Eh?) and, I’m tellin’ you right now, the Smart Car is one sweet-ass ride! Y’all know I HATE driving  . I get mega tensed out and nervous, plus, I just like watching the scenery versus paying attention to the road BUT the Smart Car’s a dream.

Good thing too since I see myself, once again, heading up to Hoosick Falls regularly.


Yea!