Search This Blog

Saturday, October 5, 2013

I Would Rather Sit On A Pumpkin

Dew Evaporates
And all our world is dew...so dear,
So fresh, so fleeting
Kobayashi Issa

Just because each lock
has its own key, doesn’t mean
it should be opened.
-- Taylor Menczynski

I've seen fire and I've seen rain.
I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend, but I always thought that I'd see you again.
-- James Taylor

the sun's warmth
fills the autumn day
as winter snickers
-- Andrew Lockhart

I cried over beautiful things knowing no beautiful thing lasts.

The field of cornflower yellow is a scarf at the neck of the copper sunburned woman,
    the mother of the year, the taker of seeds.
The northwest wind comes and the yellow is torn full of holes, new beautiful things
    come in the first spit of snow on the northwest wind, and the old things go,
    not one lasts. -
-- Carl Sandburg

Summer grasses
All that remains
Of warrior’s dreams -- Matsu Basho

That time of year thou mayst in me behold
When yellow leaves, or none, or few, do hang
Upon those boughs which shake against the cold,
Bare ruined choirs, where late the sweet birds sang.
--Shakespeare from the first quatrain of his 73rd sonnet

The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.
The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on.
-- Emily Dickinson

I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-- Henry David Thoreau

Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address.
-- Nora Ephron

2 comments: