Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Conversation Continues

In my last chat with Sandy Jimenez, creator of Marley Davidson: Bronx Exorcist, I was sparked up by his answer to my question ‘How has he (Marley) evolved over time?’
‘With the Marley Davidson: Bronx Exorcist series I wanted to answer questions about power, exploitation, racism and class as it pertains to the fantasy world of monsters and monster hunters.’
So of course I had to ask:

Your social conscience makes me wonder -- do you find many artists and authors (comics or otherwise) with similar sensibilities? If so, why do you think that may be. If not, again, why?
I think there's less of it (social conscience) in mainstream comics, mostly because comic book publishers are afraid of alienating readers. Their business model is based upon getting kids (and adult males) to buy the next issue again, and again; so a lot of the same repetitive "dumbing down" that happens in corporate-backed network and cable television, has always happened in comics. Now obviously, based on what I relayed to you from my conversation with Stan Lee (ed. note: I promise I'll post this one next!) there have been various exceptions, but largely, those add up to moments across mainstream comic book history, not a sustained concern or posture. An artist (that I'm embarrassed to admit I forgot to mention when you asked me about my influences, because he was a very big one for me) like Spain Rodriguez  who created TrashMan is an example of somebody whose sense of outrage and politics was at the center of much of his work. Ultimately, there's only one magazine that was conceived and is continuously created by artists who dedicatedly explore the political and the social, in every single issue they publish and that's World War 3 Illustrated.  
Do you think this sensibility might be a coastal or urban artist mind set?
I think every single thing we do (as artists, as people) has a political relevance, a political importance, whether we consciously intend it to or not. I still think a lot of our divisions in this country are largely falsehoods that are mutually destructive. Everybody needs a job. Everybody wants their family and kids to be safe. We treat political parties and the legislation they propose like it's a Coke or Pepsi choice.
YES, what Sandy said!

I've got such a load of steam in my head over how we, the masses, are forever being distracted and separated by bullshit. While the 'right' screams Benghazi, tries to get everyone in the middle to believe that the poor are all shiftless, lazy and immoral, that Obama's a dictator who's going to TAKE AWAY OUR GUNS! and that women who use birth control or need an abortion are vile sluts who can’t keep their knees together, Big Corporate America and their Renfields are turning the US into a 3rd world medieval horror show.

(OK, now this is playing in my head)

If the bastards of Wall and K Streets can get us to take our eyes off the ball long enough, to blame our brothers and sisters for all the country's ills then, boyhowdy, the short con is fait accompli.

What’s ‘the ball?’ Justice and equality for ALL. Of course.

Michael’s snark laden words from an earlier post are ringing in my head:
Seeing as how I'm not much given to conspiracy theories, I continue to assume that the fact that Dr King was assassinated just as he started making a whole lotta noise about wholesale ECONOMIC justice was pure coincidence.
More ventilation with Sandy Jimenez: Bronx Artist/Author to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment