Search This Blog

Friday, February 14, 2014

Penguin Dust!

Here's a snippet which The Amazing Bob read at our nuptializing -- from Gregory Corso's utterly brill poem Marriage (full villanelle at the link and it is VERY much worth a read or three).
I, on the other hand, read Hamlet's big emo soliloquy.

You see what we're like? You just can't make us be serious!
****************

But I should get married I should be good 

How nice it'd be to come home to her 

and sit by the fireplace and she in the kitchen 

aproned young and lovely wanting by baby 

and so happy about me she burns the roast beef 

and comes crying to me and I get up from my big papa chair

saying Christmas teeth! Radiant brains! Apple deaf! 

God what a husband I'd make! Yes, I should get married! 

So much to do! like sneaking into Mr Jones' house late at night 

and cover his golf clubs with 1920 Norwegian books 

Like hanging a picture of Rimbaud on the lawnmower 

like pasting Tannu Tuva postage stamps all over the picket fence

like when Mrs Kindhead comes to collect for the Community Chest 

grab her and tell her There are unfavorable omens in the sky! 

And when the mayor comes to get my vote tell him 

When are you going to stop people killing whales! 

And when the milkman comes leave him a note in the bottle 

Penguin dust, bring me penguin dust, I want penguin dust--

**************** 

So...em...Happy Penguin Dust Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment