Search This Blog

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Fashion Bairn


OK, OK, I get it. One fun thing in having a baby is getting to buy/have all the cool cute baby clothes and gear. I get that.

I saw a woman on the Red Line yesterday with a wee babe. The child, wearing a pastel pink cap, was swaddled in a soft pink fuzzy blanket, had a pale pink stuffed toy clutched in her little fist. All this while riding in a carriage that was, yes, you guessed it, the most delicate shade of PINK.

Gee, ya think the kid's a girl?

Why, please tell me WHY, anyone would go so overboard with the gender color coding? It doesn't come off as cute -- it just seems odd with a whiff or two of insecurity. I wanted to ask the lady Are you fearul that your child, who's less than a year old, will be mistaken for male? If so, why? Are you prepping her for her inevitable entree into sorority life? Are you afraid she'll grow up to have a mind of her own? Do you have lamb's blood gracing the lintel of your home? 

You know, what the fuck, babe?

Of course, it only JUST NOW occurs to me that maybe, just maybe, the mother is simply wickedly keen on Crayola Piggy Pink. Not my taste/not my kid (gee, duh). IF the ankle biter grows up hating the color, she can work it out for her ownself. Poor dear.

Me -- how would I have clothed an infant? Well goodness, you don't know? In tie dye and leopard skin prints of course! Plus she/he would've ridden in the bestest, most steam punk-ish pram. It would've been a glossy black Victorian model, sporting a big-ass pirate flag. The kid would've needed a decent sound system too. We'd play The Ride of the Valkyries and Carmina Burana as we sailed past those poor, sad, fashion impaired mother/child duos.

Yeah, we woulda seriously rocked.