Search This Blog

Friday, March 27, 2015

Flowers in Winter

Haven’t seen any crocuses (croci?) yet but I suppose it’s early days yet. These particular  beauties, at right, didn’t pop up until the second week of April last year PLUS there’s still a thick blanket of snow over our yard.

And what about the tulips in the Public Garden? What up there? Mind you, they aren’t normally in total, full bloom before mid April so there’s still time. Maybe I’ll head into town soon to, ya know, see how they’re doing and murmur encouragements into the air.

Eager for color? Oh yes indeedy! 

I came across another sort of chroma on the eighth floor of the Yawky Building at MGH—Tibeten style prayer flags. I suppose this, seeing them yesterday, brought the tulips and croci to mind.
Colorful, handmade flags brighten the halls of the Yawkey 8E hallway at the Mass General Cancer Center. In the tradition of Tibetan prayer flags, they carry messages of compassion, strength and wisdom from their makers — patients and their families. 
“The project provides patients and their families with an opportunity to share their hopes and feelings, including gratitude for their caregivers,” writes Director of Chaplaincy Michael McElhinny, MDiv. “Patients, visitors and staff are moved and uplifted by the flags, which transcend religious, cultural and spiritual boundaries.”
As I’ve already laid out, I’m not religious and I'm not a fan of formalized religions in general. But neither am I an atheist. That also relies on a belief in something which can’t be empirically proven. Having said this, I rule nothing out because, hey, I’m a good little agnostic!

The point of the story here is that a lot of folks say “I’ll keep you in my prayers” or “I’m praying for you.” That’s swell and I thank them. They’re thinking/wishing good fortune in my direction and that can’t hurt. I don’t share their beliefs but appreciate the positive energy sent my way.

nascent koi
What would light my sparkler even more is if someone created one of those prayer flags for me and my tribe.

from Wikipedia:
Traditionally, prayer flags are used to promote peace, compassion, strength, and wisdom. The flags do not carry prayers to gods, which is a common misconception; rather, the Tibetans believe the prayers and mantras will be blown by the wind to spread the good will and compassion into all pervading space. Therefore, prayer flags are thought to bring benefit to all.
OR channel that hopeful energy into art, music, your morning run or trike ride, your baking, knitting or whatever buoys your day. Funnel those good vibes into a form that’ll make yourself, folks around you and the focus of your “prayers” smile.

Just a thought.

Me? I’m painting the house but maybe that’s more about nervous energy. I think, were I to make one of these spirit flags, as they call them at MGH, it’d be Rothko-esque. My thoughts, feelings, energies are best expressed in color. I can get happily lost in a field of yellow.
Orange and Yellow, Rothko

2 comments: