Search This Blog

Thursday, October 29, 2015

What To Do?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, another more or less sleepless night. This is becoming a real thing for me. Last week I slept just three out of seven nights. Likely I’ve whined about this before. I know, I know, I kvetch about this all the damn time, don't I!?

I've consulted friends and pros and done online searches for tips. I've found a few new bits, been reminded of ones I've used in the past but not found any spectacular, shiny new, Schlaf guaranteeing schemes. Mostly, it seems, I just need to be consistent. You know, schedule the stuff I'm not already doing into each day and really do it.

Help Guide.org recommends that I:
  • Spend more time outside during daylight.
I could add a daily walk to my triking. This’d be good for my balance AND potential slumberhood!
  • Keep your room cool
 The prob with this is that The Amazing Bob and I have significantly different internal thermostats. In summer, I’m always too hot so I crank the AC. TAB’s then too cold. In winter I’m always too hot so I lower the heat…and then he’s too cold.
  • Avoid alcohol before bed.
But, but, a glass of the grape would help me get off to dreamland, right? Yes, but more than one will insure that I’m up at 1 AM, staring at the ceiling, attempting to solve for Pi.
  • Cut down on caffeine.
I try to never, EVAH have coffee after 11 AM...for all the good that’s doing me.

This next combo is pretty key though, frankly, neither has gotten me back to Lullaby-ville once I'm up and amped at 2 AM. Still, they bring down my tension levels and that makes sense.
  • Practice deep breathing and progressive relaxation exercises
Who knew, there’re a few different ways to breath in order to de-tension-ify the mind/body!
  • Sama Vritti
  • Abdominal Breathing Technique
  • Nadi Shodhana
  • Kapalabhati
Go to the linky for more info on these (and progressive relaxation). I generally do the last breathing technique, Kapalabhati. I’d no idea that there was a name for it AND it’s a thing!
  • Visualize a peaceful, restful place
Like I do when I’m in the tube. Gotcha.

The site also suggests:
  • Postpone worrying and brainstorming. (WAY easier said than done!)
  • Make relaxation your goal, not sleep. 
Relaxation versus sleep as a target—yes but then I get bored, antsy and feel the overwhelming need to get up an do something. I’m awake so I may as well be productive, eh? Yeah, chillin’ is a supreme effort for me.
 My additions to the Sleep for Dummies list:
  • Exercise
30 minutes to an hour every damn day. On days when I can’t trike, I walk. If I can’t get in a formal, hour long power walk I, at the least, try to keep moving—painting, cleaning and such—throughout the day.
  • Avoid the political blogs and news reports after 5 PM. 
Why? Being furious isn’t gonna help me sleep. All the shit will be there in the morning when my mind’s flying on all four cylinders.
  • DO NOT watch the World Series!
I'm, of course, rooting for the Mets. At least last night's game didn't go to FOURTEEN innings.

2 comments:

  1. What has always worked for me is melatonin, though I get mine from Holland where the dosage is very low (0.1 mg per pill). Ironically I find the low dosage works best but sometimes I need a few of them which they recommend to let dissolve under your tongue. It's actually a hormone produced by the body in darkness (a simplified description, see here for more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin). Maybe give it a try -- start with the lowest dosage available. It really works a treat for me but then, so do vitamins C and D for staving off colds and boosting my immunity. The trick of course, is to believe. :)

    ReplyDelete