Search This Blog

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Huh...it's November

Christmas shit’s been sneaking into the stores for a month now but, apparently, Halloween’s the new Thanksgiving. I popped into Barnes and Noble yesterday with my shiny new 20% off coupon, hoping to find some little bit of escapist nonsense and was utterly distracted by all the bright holiday displays and promos.

Not SO distracted that I missed The Aviator’s Wife. Is this another Time Traveler’s Wife deal where the good wifey stays home while the manly man husband goes off and has adventures. A love story for frustrated housewives.

It appears that The Aviator’s Wife, to a degree, is just that but maybe it's got a bit more going on. It’s a fictionalized account of Anne Morrow and Charles Lindbergh’s marriage from her POV.
Charles sees in Anne a kindred spirit, a fellow adventurer, and her world will be changed forever. The two marry in a headline-making wedding. Hounded by adoring crowds and hunted by an insatiable press, Charles shields himself and his new bride from prying eyes, leaving Anne to feel her life falling back into the shadows.
Could be interesting and it could be just another tale for thwarted homemakers. I’d rather read a straight-up biography of her. Did you know? She was a writer and a glider pilot, not just the wife.

I wanna know, where are the books about adventurous/adventuring women and their stalwart, faithful husbands who stay home, keeping the light on and the hearth warm? Hmmmm? Maybe The Amazing Bob can write it while I'm off triking the Isle of Ske and the Hebridean Trail! The Deaf Triker's Husband?

Afterwards I dropped by the grocery to pick up a bag of Kit Kats on the off chance we’d get a few trick or treaters (we never do but I like to be prepared plus TAB's mad for Kit Kats). Wham—a full aisle of wrapping paper, electric candles for the windows, big, round cozy peppermint and gingerbread scented candles, tree lights, snowman bedecked Christmas cards,
Uploading the mail into the Phlegmatic Tube system

I hate Christmas already. At this time of year I’m grateful for deafness so I don’t have to hear months of insipid Christmas Carol Muzak.

When I got home, I curled up with Rocco and a book—Virginia Woolf's Orlando. I love a book that sends me to the dictionary!

Fatuous sounds, to me, like it should be an official chef-type word for lard. You know, as in Paula Dean’s recipes are notorious for being terribly fatuous.

Nope, it means: foolish or inane, especially in an unconscious, complacent manner; silly.

Phlegmatic sounds like it might describe the condition of a1940s era office mail system. As in, the pneumatic tube’s phlegmatic, all snot clogged, again today so we need to get the office boy to deliver everything. OR maybe, instead of the transport cylinders zipping along via compressed air, they sluice through through the magic of mucus?

//shudder//

Nope, it means: not easily excited to action or display of emotion; apathetic; sluggish.

And, on that note, it's time to suit up and ride before the rain begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment