Search This Blog

Saturday, May 7, 2016

Cinco de Mayo – NOT just an excuse to quaff Margaritas

Jen and I met at Acapulcos NOT because it was Cinco de Mayo, no, no, no. If we’d remembered the date, we’d have gone for Indian or just met at our old haunt, Froggies. Normally, if we’ve a hankering for Mexican cuisine, we hit La Paloma – better chow BUT there’s always a wait, often a long one. Why? The food is muy sabroso. In contrast. Acapulcos is on the bland side Why go there? It’s relatively close by AND they have big comfy booths.

Now, Acapulcos is NEVER crowded – in fact, I’ve wondered if this location would fold (it’s a small chain). On Thursday evening though, it was SRO. I walked in the door (late – I’m never late!) and thought no way will I find Jen in this crowd and if she’s not here yet, I’ll have to wait outside in the rain. Amazingly, not only was she there but she’d managed to snag (and defend!) not one but TWO seats at the three people deep bar. Incredible. That’s our Jen – master of the impossible.

I hate crowds but, at the same time, they’re entertaining. More people/more interesting people watching. So we stayed. Jen pointed out that the masses were more colorful than usual – more diverse – therefore, more beautiful and more fun. Human variegation, YES!

Here in the US of A, Cinco de Mayo seems, more than anything else, just an excuse to drink margaritas and snarf mountains of enchiladas and burritos. In fact, I wasn't even sure what the day was about (beyond marketing hype). I assumed it commemorated Mexican Independence – like our 4rth of July. Nope. That's September 16th.
Cinco de Mayo—or the fifth of May—commemorates the Mexican army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War (1861-1867). A relatively minor holiday in Mexico… (source)
Chica on the left looked interestingly, oddly, muy bored with the crowd. Wonder why.
 Here’s a very interesting bit. I had no idea.
In 1862, at the time the Battle of Puebla took place, the United States was engaged in its Civil War. The French presence in Mexico was a strategic move: by gaining a toehold in Mexico, the French could then support the Confederate Army. The defeat of the French at the Battle of Puebla was not definitive, but it helped to stave off the French while the U.S. Union forces made advances. Thus Cinco de Mayo can be seen as a turning point in the U.S. Civil War. Cinco de Mayo was first celebrated in the United States in Southern California in 1863 as a show of solidarity with Mexico against French rule. (source)
Well OK then! Obvs this is going on my calendar now as a day to whoop it up.

In any case, I had a margarita and my usual spinach enchilada (Jen had huevos rancheros – MMMMMMM – and her usual white wine). Ya know, I’m feeling really lame here  I’ve never been to Mexico. It’s right next door!  Maybe that’s my next vaca? Where to go though? Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment