Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2016

I get back up again

Coco, the nap queen
Wanna know how flat out exciting I am? Yes, of course you do!

Yesterday, after a brief appointment with my PCP (follow ups, blood tests – yes, I have some – and just general pit stop shit), I ran a few errands, made lunch for TAB, Rocco and Coco and then took a long beautiful, interesting and happy dream filled nap. It was awesome. Then I went for a long-ish, not epic trike ride.

But that nap – Ooo baby, it was a beaut. A real highlight!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’m trying to understand Brexit – the British exit from the European Union. I’ve read a few articles which outline the pros and cons but am still, unsurprisingly, unclear. Will my niece, Maya – a German citizen, be able to stay in school in Edinburgh? Will Scotland, whose citizens voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU, vote for independence from the UK?

How does Brexit effect me and mine?

I see that the pound is now worth $1.39 – the lowest it’s been in decades. So then, maybe I can now actually afford to go visit Maya.

What else is different?
~~~~~~~~~~~~
 When you have your health, you have everything. When you do not have your health, nothing else matters at all.
~ Augusten Burroughs, Dry 
Rubens, Hygeia and snake
Medicine, 1900-1907 by Gustav Klimt
I don’t hold with absolutes.

Very little in this world is all one thing or another. The whole Me Before You bullshit is just that. The character, Will Traynor, sounds like a spoiled prat. That is, he had a, supposedly, bright, functional mind, wealth and a woman who loved him, yet, because he’s had an accident that leaves him in a wheelchair, he’s suicidal.

OK, got it. Understood – the whole to be or not to be thing – is mega important. Self-determination – we can only make that decision for ourselves.

Still – SNAP OUT OF IT!

I don’t have brill physical health, not even close, but I do OK. Let me rephrase – I do reasonably well as long as I remember my limitations and prepare. I can hike as long as I’ve got a walking stick. I can still go to clubs, catch a band and enjoy – as long as they’re ultra heavy on percussion. I can still swim laps BUT I gotta make sure I’ve got a lane all to myself. Conversation isn’t smooth – shit’s gotta be repeated a LOT, pad and pen are always at hand and some folks just can’t be arsed to slow down when they talk (yeah FUCK THEM!) – but I still have ‘em – the conversations.

Things are different, more challenging now.

It’s true that I’ll never hear Gregorian chants, the B side of Abby Road, Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, the Carmina Burana,  NIN’s The Downward Spiral, Dylan – I could go on and on and more on… I’ve mourned and continue to mourn this big loss BUT I get back up again. I’m never gonna keep me down, etc. and thank you Chumbawamba. What I have, in lieu of fab physical health, is damn good mental health (REALLY!). I’m creative, enjoy the hell out of a good book; I’ve got a bunch of fab friends, cats and The MOST Amazing Bob (BESTEST husband EVAH!) and I live in Valhalla.

Will Traynor's choice is not mine and fuck you Jojo Moyes and Augusten Burroughs.

*ahem* Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment