Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

WMGH, Playin' All the Hits!

The Extraction of the Stone of Madness – Hieronymus Bosch
In Dream World last night I was in the hospital for some odd sort of Nf2 related surgery.

Even odder, Hodding Carter was my cutter. You might be asking Who the fuck’s that, Donna?

Carter’s a journalist and politician best known for his role as Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs in the Jimmy Carter administration. (source) He was also a high school classmate of my father’s and I got to meet him when I accompanied daddy to his 50th class reunion.

Fun BUT here’s what I want to know – as accomplished as Carter is, he ain’t no bones so WHY did he have a starring roll in my sleepy-time sick bay drama? Also too, in real wakey-wakey life, I’m not due in for more surgery – not this week, not this month, not this year (far as I know at the moment anyway). So rilly, ‘the fuck’s this all about?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
While spinning around the ‘net this morning I found this:
Songs for surgeons: A mixtape for the operating room

The Washington Post has helpful (maybe snarky?) suggestions.
SadeSmooth Operator
Bee GeesStayin’ Alive
Comfortably NumbPink Floyd
The Surgeon – Jan Sanders van Hemesse
I suppose this one’s a little reminder for the anesthesiologist:
Wake Me Up Before You Go-GoWham
Also on the list were two hits by QueenAnother One Bites the Dust and Killer Queen. I’m not so sure that I want Barker and McKenna groovin’ out to these while they tinker in my tête.
The Clinic of Dr. Agnew – Thomas Eakins
Roughly 80 percent of operating room staff say that music benefits cooperation between team members, reduces anxiety levels and improves efficiency. Research has also suggested that music may improve surgeons’ task focus.

The tradition of playing music during medical procedures dates back to ancient times, when the Greeks had identified Apollo as the God of both healing and music. (source)
Surgeons listen to tune-age while they work. Huh. Makes sense but I had no idea.

I wonder what Barker plays when he’s workin’ on my bean. I wonder what McKenna spins.

I’m imagining Barker’s set list includes Bob Marley’s No Woman No Cry and Santana’s Black Magic Woman. McKenna’s would NEED to have Pearl Jam’s Alive and The BeatlesA Day In the Life on the OR jukebox.

Mebbe I’ll just shoot them each an email and ask/suggest/push.

No comments:

Post a Comment