Search This Blog

Friday, October 5, 2018

Steaming

Yesterday should’ve been a calm day. The day after three hours worth of MRIs should have been mellow as all fucking hell. Ya know? I should have spent the day reading, cosseting my kitten overlord, hitting the gym and MAYBE treating myself to a cookie.

Wuh happen? In preparation for next week’s MRIathon, I stopped by the pharmacy to fill my mega paltry lorazapam ‘script. 

The pharmacist on duty was the dreaded Sylvia. I imagine she’s smart enough. She went to college for science heavy stuff – that takes brains, right? STILL, she seems completely incapable of basic problem solving. Sylvia also fails to understand that, since I’m deaf, she needs to write down what she’s saying EVERY time she speaks, not just once. She doesn't remember from one utterance to the next. I’m constantly repeating please write down what you’re saying or I’ll understand what you’re communicating if you write it down for me. I feel like I’m talking to a slow child.

Yes, I can read her lips when she bothers to slow down her rate of speech but – gosh – that seems to be beyond her ability to remember too.

In any case, I wade through her usual everything's a major , earth shattering struggle, drop off the ‘scripts and split. I’m in the parking lot when Sylvia runs up behind me with another PROBLEM, PROBLEM. Ya see, one of the ‘scripts calls for two measly .5 milligram tabs.
We only carry 1 milligram tabs, she breathlessly mouthed.
I replied,  fine, just give me one pill and I’ll cut it in half.
Oh no, no, no. We can’t do that. Need a doctor’s authorization.
Fine, then call the doctor and get it.
You have to call.
Dear, perhaps you haven’t noticed but I’m deaf. YOU will call the doctor and get this sorted out.
She began rattling on about how it's a hassle to call the docs, because sometimes they don’t call right back and yada, yada, yada. In the middle of her speech I walked off. I only mention it but good customer service involves more than just smiling. Ya gotta be able to solve minor probs and think on your feet. DUH!

If she hasn’t worked through this small issue by the time I go in to pick up my meds later today, I’ll speak to her manager OR just change pharmacies. Intelligence is about way more than just acing your chem finals. Just FYI.

Multiplying my annoyance level was the AP report that
The EPA is pursuing rule changes that experts say would weaken the way radiation exposure is regulated, turning to scientific outliers who argue that a bit of radiation damage is actually good for you — like a little bit of sunlight.
I’m in the tube a LOT. Dimwitted Fat Hitler’s gonna make it so I’m a cancer risk now too? Will I actually survive the von Clownstick years?

And those cookies? Didn't notice while in the grocery store but EACH one is 160 calories! Yup, I gave them to Jen to take to work. *sigh* The day just kept getting more annoying.

The day ended with very good news though. The wonderful folk in the MGH Ellison2 MRI labs were able to fit me in next week after all so I WON’T have to gird my loins for the extra mondo, GIANT Claustrophobia Monster of the Founders building MRI tube.

YEA!

No comments:

Post a Comment