Search This Blog

Saturday, May 18, 2019

Another Good Friday

I’ve been to a lot of concerts in my day and I just do NOT remember the ticket buying experience being so mystifyingly weird and scam-riddled. On Thursday I attempted to buy our passports to September's Waterboys show. They’ll be at the Wilbur and this was a “special pre-sale” event.

Most were either $40 or $50 though there was one selection for $10,027 – a blindingly, odd, EXTREME amount. What the hell do you get for 10 large? Room, board and sexytime with Mike Scott for a year?

I opted for the $40 standing room/floor “seats” and proceeded to check out. The total was close to 300 smackers. ‘the fuck?!!! How do two $40 tickets end up costing almost 300 bucks? Ya know, I’m no math genius but this seemed ridiculously, full-stop wrong.

So yeah, I passed on the “special pre-sale event” tickets. Can you say rapaciously greedheaded and sloppy scam? Sure, I know ya can.

I decided to order, along with the hoi polloi, on Friday. I figured, them not being the Stones and all, they wouldn’t sell out on the very first day. Plus, I was buying standing room/floor tickets, not seats. I wouldn’t miss my chance.

On this new purchasing effort I found that the lowest ticket price was now $79 – bummer but I really wanted to go. After some tussling with me old parsimonious bean I decided to move ahead. If the markup was insane again I’d pass.

On checkout, this time 'round, the total was a hair over $200. Even with the doubled ticket price this was still MUCH less than the "special pre-sale" cost. I'm now concert bound. YEA!

By the by, I think special, in that sale title, means something distinctly unflattering. Ya know – like rube or dimwitted mark.

Other good news from Friday – I had a GREAT visit with Doc Jacobs (my cornea minder while Doc Dana’s away). For the very first time, I got a happy divination on my lamps. With this PROSE lens that I’m hoping/am very likely to get, the good Doc says I’ll have fine and full vision for another 20 years+. (dunno if the rest of me'll last that long but the eye's will be ALL set!)

I’m so used to doom and gloom from the medics – this was AWESOME!

Ten and I celebrated afterward with lunch at La Paloma. Chips, salsa and cod tacos are a grand way to beat the happy drum. Fer reals and shit.

Now I’m thinking that I might like to switch cornea minders. I like the one I have BUT Jacobs is mega personable, funny (in the face of potential blindness, humor is KEY), a creative thinker AND she got me in the door at BostonSight.

Monday’s my first visit at BostonSight. I don’t know precisely what to expect but I’ve some ideas. There’ll be a long-ass eye exam, tests to see if I can deal with the ginormous lens and, given the day-long appointments, BostonSight has a well stocked, open-to-all kitchen. AND there will be CART (Communication Access Real-time Translation – “the instant translation of the spoken word into English text using a stenotype machine, notebook computer and realtime software.” ). An Nf2-ing friend, who got a PROSE lens a year or two ago, said the doctors and staff there are fabola.

All the same, I may pop a calm me down tab beforehand.  Deep breathing exercises and a few dozen laps in the pool will help too. I CAN do this!

2 comments:

  1. They are "The Hole in the Moon" guys, right? I have a World Party album somewhere, which was a spin-off project by their old keyboardist, Karl Wallinger. I'm going to go listen to a full Waterboys album now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are. Sadly, I can't bring any of their tunes to mind besides This is the Sea. Hoping that when I feel the beat they'll come back to me.

    ReplyDelete