Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 4, 2019

I now know what I'm painting next!

I woke from a tremendous dream. It began in Berlin where I had spectacular studio space right along the sunny Kurfürstendamm.

I was working on a series of paintings of a thin man, fully clothed (I know – très étrange. I never paint folks with duds on). He was dancing. Not a formal dance – not ballet or ballroom. He was doing a Joe Cocker (if Joe really let go and got his whole bod into the tune) and it was beautiful.

I was wondering if I could get a greater range of limb movement if I photographed people jumping on a trampoline. Dream results? Nein. This Joe Cocker-ish dude was mighty talented at the free flail of arms and legs

The colors were muddy with just a few lines of bright hues to play up the movement. Think Cian McLoughlin's general palette.
From there my studio shifted continents. I picked up a studio mate too – my friend Susan who, in Wakey-Wakey World, lives in Minneapolis. We found an entire house – a duplex in fact – to house our creative endeavors. Now, this house really exists. It was one of the joints TAB, Jen, Oni and I looked at in Somerville before we found Valhalla on the Sea. Why’d we pass on the big, gorgeous Slumberville casa – too close to a big highway. That’s fine for a studio but NOT a home where people were planning to sleep or open the occasional odd window.

Here’s how wed to reality I am even while asleep – Susan and I were renting the whole duplex but would only need the one side. We figured we’d sublet the other half and then our studio space would be FREE!

You know you’re not part of the richie rich brigade when frugality enters your dreams and puts the whip cream and cherry on top of an already happy chimera.

No comments:

Post a Comment