Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Endorphins NOW, plz!

I’m at a loss. I recently finished Murderbot #5, Network Effect (LOVED IT!) and the 6th (and final?) installment, Murderbot #6, Fugitive Telemetry, won’t be out until April 27, 2021.

I’ve started Ancillary Justice again and again – it’s just NOT grabbing me. I suspect all of life’s current insanity has banjaxed my appreciation of anything which delays an endorphin rush by so much as a minute.

I feel I’m needing the cannon blasting section of the 1812 Overture NOW, the pyrotechnic parts of Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody #2 and Stravinsky’s Firebird STAT.

So, I’ll try AJ again later, down the road, when my health is a little sturdier, when fewer people are dying daily from the Republican amped plague and when we have a sane government once more. As I write this, we have 26 hours to go.

So then, given my frenzied bean and Murderbotless state, what am I reading? John Scalzi’s  Old Man’s War  Yes, for the 567th time.

This is my first reread since TAB died four and a half years ago, the first since my surgery-a-thon, the first since my seizures began. Reading it now versus then is…different, more serious. In the first few pages John Perry, the main character, talks of how his wife died.

“I hate that my wife of 42 years is dead, that one minutes she was in the kitchen, mixing a bowl of waffle batter and talking to me about the dustup at the library board meeting the night before, and the next minute she was on the floor, twitching as the stroke tore through her brain,”
That hit hard. I know about falling to the floor, twitching  uncontrollably – not from a stroke but from an asshole meningioma sparked seizure. I always wonder is this how I die. Will I survive. Just FYI, recovery is harder, takes longer after each Donna-quake. That kinda adds oomph to my concern, will I live through this?
So, I escape into books and teevee.

Tomorrow  evening, Jen, Ten, Oni and I will watch the last Mandalorian ep of season two. Will Grogu be rescued? Is he OK? Will there be a season three – if so, WHEN!?

Naturally, I’ve begun researching. Dunno about a season three BUT there will be spinoffs! The Book of Boba Fett, Ahsoka, Andor!!! Unfortunately they’re not out NOW.

An aside – did you know that Ahsoka Tano, AKA Rosario Dawson, is shacking up with New Jersey’s awesome senator, Cory Booker? ! How cool!
Back to teevee escapism though – the third season of Star Trek’s mega awesome show, Discovery, is out but not available on DVD until next month. I don’t understand the deets but it’s cheaper to buy the disk than to “stream” it. So we wait.

I haz a sad.

2 comments:

  1. I know I keep pushing Ancillary Justice on you, but here's how it hooked me.
    One of my favorite tasks at the library was shelving books. No better way to learn the collection than shelving books. At any given time, I'd have a dozen books going at once, read a few pages or a chapter, shelve it. Book goes out, book comes back, read another few pages or a chapter, shelve it. Along about chapter three, I'd just take the dash thing home and finish it. The Book Thief was this way too. Anyway, sometimes it just takes a couple of passes.
    Madison Public Library, best job I ever had. To the day I retired, and even now when I visit, I will wander the stacks to re-read the last chapter of The Book Thief......or The art of racing in the rain....or Where the red fern grows.....
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's very cool. I know that, as calmness (less illness, less utterly fucked government) prevails, my ability to concentrate will return and I'll return to AJ. I really like the idea of reading a few/several pages at a time versus diving in for hours. Thank you!

      Delete