Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I Don't Like Mondays

The Tuesday after a three day weekend is always hard -- it feels like a very rough Monday. Particularly this one -- this was the weekend which heralded the beginning of summer.

Yesterday, Monday -- Memorial Day, was the first sunny warm day in a week. All I want to do today is sit on the porch, in the sunshine, reading. For one more day. Just one!

I just began Martin Millar’s detective series Thraxas -- written under the pseudonym Martin Scott.
Thraxas is a private investigator in the city of Turai. He has some sorcerous powers but mainly he just drinks a lot of beer. Consequently he's always broke and has to live in the poor part of the city. Thraxas is overweight, bad tempered, and a keen gambler at the chariot races. He doesn't make for a pretty sight. His friend Makri is reckoned to be a good deal more attractive, but with her Orcish and Elvish blood, she does have a tendency to be violent.
LOVE Mister Millar’s sense of humor!

Here’s the thing though, the series is only available electronically.

I’ve never read a book on my iPad before. Yes, yes, YEZ, I know that all the cool kids are doing this now. eBooks are the hip, eco way to go. Got it. Still miss ink on paper and the feel of a book in my hands though.

This WILL however, make travel somewhat easier/lighter. I tote the iPad with me everywhere now (for the handy, dandy voice recog app and email) so, with eBooks, I don’t need to also pack novels and tomes.
My back and wee rucksack appreciate this. I CAN get used to these new fangled things!

By the way, if you've not read Lonely Werewolf Girl or The Good Fairies of New York yet...well, get to it. Those two books are WAY brill!

Meantime, for this Monday-ish Tuesday while I'm having a hell of a time getting ramped up for the day, here, have some pretty seaside pics.

You're welcome.

I Don't Like Mondays -- The Boomtown Rats
The silicon chip inside her head
Gets switched to overload
And nobody’s gonna go to school today
She’s gonna make them stay at home
And daddy doesn’t understand it
He always said she was good as gold
And he can see no reasons
'Cos there are no reasons
What reason do you need to be show-ow-ow-ow-own?

Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why
I don’t like Mondays
I wanna shoo-oo-woo-woo-woo-oot the whole day down

No comments:

Post a Comment