Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Sun and the Moon

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
~ Shel Silverstein

Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird,
That cannot fly.
~ Langston Hughes

Life's under no obligation to give us what we expect.
~ Margaret Mitchell 

Only in the darkness can you see the stars.
~ Martin Luther King Jr.

In a time of destruction, create something.
~ Maxine Hong Kingston

Hope is a waking dream.
~ Aristotle

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
~ G.K. Chesterton

You will lose someone you can’t live without,and your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly—that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.
~ Anne Lamott

No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear. I am not afraid, but the sensation is like being afraid. The same fluttering in the stomach, the same restlessness, the yawning. I keep on swallowing.
At other times it feels like being mildly drunk, or concussed. There is a sort of invisible blanket between the world and me. I find it hard to take in what anyone says. Or perhaps, hard to want to take it in. It is so uninteresting. Yet I want the others to be about me. I dread the moments when the house is empty. If only they would talk to one another and not to me.
~~~
The death of a beloved is an amputation.
 ~~~
For in grief nothing "stays put." One keeps on emerging from a phase, but it always recurs. Round and round. Everything repeats. Am I going in circles, or dare I hope I am on a spiral?

But if a spiral, am I going up or down it?

How often -- will it be for always? -- how often will the vast emptiness astonish me like a complete novelty and make me say, "I never realized my loss till this moment"? The same leg is cut off time after time.
~ C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed 

So it’s true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.
~ E.A. Bucchianeri, Brushstrokes of a Gadfly

To weep is to make less the depth of grief.
~ William Shakespeare, King Henry VI, Part 3

And I can't be running back and fourth forever between grief and high delight.
~ J.D. Salinger, Franny and Zooey

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
~ Kahlil Gibran

Given the choice between the experience of pain and nothing, I would choose pain.”
~ William Faulkner, The Wild Palms

If you know someone who tries to drown their sorrows, you might tell them sorrows know how to swim.”
~ H. Jackson Brown Jr., P.S. I Love You 

love
iz
a
big
fat
turkey
and
every
day
iz
thanksgiving
~ Charles Bukowski, What Matters Most is How Well You Walk Through the Fire 

Though lovers be lost, love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.
~ Dylan Thomas (whoever he was)

When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.
~ George R.R. Martin

The Amazing Bob was my sun...moon too.

No comments:

Post a Comment