Search This Blog

Friday, July 27, 2018

Gobblefunk

It's the end of a long hot, blindingly humid week. Being Friday, I have this crazy-ass idea that the oppressive wet air is about to blow outta here. Ya know, the week's done. Its time for bad weather to move on down the road. Next stop – Schenectady!

Too bad reality doesn't work like a tidy story.

I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

Delicious Ambiguity.
~ Gilda Radner 

Happiness is an allegory, unhappiness a story.
~ Leo Tolstoy 

That's what fiction is for. It's for getting at the truth when the truth isn't sufficient for the truth.
~ Tim O'Brien

Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.
~ Rudyard Kipling 

Don't gobblefunk around with words.
~ Roald Dahl, The BFG   

Any word you have to hunt for in a thesaurus is the wrong word. There are no exceptions to this rule.
~ Stephen King

It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like “What about lunch?”
~Winnie the Pooh

I was just sittin’ here enjoyin’ the company. Plants got a lot to say if you take the time to listen.
~ Eeyore

I turned silences and nights into words. What was unutterable, I wrote down. I made the whirling world stand still.
~ Arthur Rimbaud, A Season in Hell/The Drunken Boat 

The wisest man is the silent one. Examine his actions. Judge him by them.
~ Karen Marie Moning

A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.
~ Ingrid Bergman

When I cannot see words curling like rings of smoke round me I am in darkness—I am nothing.
~ Virginia Woolf, The Waves

Literature is my Utopia.
~ Helen Keller

She was fascinated with words. To her, words were things of beauty, each like a magical powder or potion that could be combined with other words to create powerful spells.
~ Dean Koontz, Lightning 

The ability to read awoke inside of me some long dormant craving to be mentally alive.
~ Malcolm X, The Autobiography of Malcolm X

There is no scent so pleasant to my nostrils as that faint, subtle reek which comes from an ancient book.
~ Arthur Conan Doyle

Me, poor man, my library
Was dukedom large enough.
~ William Shakespeare, The Tempest

I'm old-fashioned and think that reading books is the most glorious pastime that humankind has yet devised.
~ Wisława Szymborska, Nonrequired Reading 

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the heat. Here we're in the middle of at least a couple of weeks of high-nineties weather, and it's not scheduled to end until Tuesday. They can't fix this global warming thing fast enough for me.

    A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.

    That probably worked fine for Ingrid Bergman. For most of us it would just result in a restraining order.

    I've read The Autobiography of Malcolm X. The story of his awakening through literacy is electrifying. It's one of those few books that every American really needs to read.

    To gobble funk sounds like a bad idea. You don't know where that stuff has been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, gobblefunk is some dangerous shit!

      I’m embarrassed to say I’ve never read his autobiography—just quotes from it 😞

      High nineties— I was NOT made to exist in temps like that!

      Delete
    2. Actually, it's something you might want to be prepared for when you come here. Normally the worst of the summer heat subsides over the first half of September, but we had at least one year recently when it continued through the middle of October. I don't know what this year will be like, but the record-breaking heat waves all over the northern hemisphere aren't a good sign.

      Delete
    3. Oof! I will pack and dress accordingly.
      Poop.

      Delete