Search This Blog

Saturday, July 28, 2018

I’ll take Doofusosity for $500, Alex

I fell yesterday. Yes, AGAIN. Jesus I didn’t even have the one-eyed-Donna excuse like I did for the last fall down go boom.  Nope. I was just getting outta my car, turned to the left and down I went.

What’d I trip over this time?
  • Did an ottoman sized pebble jump in my path?
  • Did my herd of stray cats choose that very moment to wind themselves around my ankles?
  • Did a sudden we’re-off-to-Oz  gale blow in off the bay?
Nope. Apparently I got tangled up in and tripped over my own damn feet. OOF!

Neighbor Jim dashed over to assist. Jen and Oni were there in seconds. The three of them got me up on my feet, steady and into the house. Jen, who has experience with this sort of thing, determined that nothing was busted but I’d twisted my ankle and needed to glacier up.

This morning I seem to be fine-ish. Just a wee headache and the icepack’s back on. I’m NOT headed to the ER again unless shit starts lookin’ dire. It BETTAH not!

I’m hunting for the lesson in all this. There's always a lesson, a takeaway. What should I avoid doing or pay extra heed to so’s I can ixnay this new splat habit.

What I’ve come up with so far is this:
1) I gotta stick to a ONE drink limit even when that darling Cosmo with lime wedge is served in cup no larger than shot glass – seriously, they were tiny and I only had two. And no, I wasn’t even vaguely tipsy last night but, emmmm, it’s more better to err on the abstemious/fewer calories side anyway.

2)
I need to become way more aware of my body and not just in a damn I need to lose ten pounds or goodness, this dress is doing me a nice turn kind of a way. Nope, I’m talking about my woefully underdeveloped kinesthetic sense – having a sense of where all of your body’s parts are in space, how each of those parts work together

This is something most people learn when they're young – kiddle sized. I guess I was absent that day.

What can help me with developing this, some non-spasticity? MORE and regular meditation time is prolly a good place to start. Not always being in an all fired impatient hurry to get everywhere would be smart too.

Today I’m stuck in Icepack and No Gymville.  A good opportunity for meditation action.

*sigh*

2 comments:

  1. Be careful! I used to be really bad about falling down, running into things, etc. Mostly I just needed to slow down. Well, I mean, I needed to slow down and pay attention to here and now.

    My brother had a dog like that. A boxer who would go running into things or falling down and actually injuring himself. A few years went by and the dog didn't seem so bad anymore. I asked him what he'd done to get the boxer more focused and less spastic, thinking maybe I could use it as an idea of how I could be less clumsy and spastic myself. My brother said, "Yeah, we got him neutered."

    Well, never mind then. I'll just keep falling down.

    I hope you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah!

      I'm post menopausal – fewer hormones zooming around – I should be *totally* less of a spaz now. What? No? Different species?

      Delete