Search This Blog

Friday, April 5, 2019

Nice Things

In this age of shockingly cruel idiocy I’m reminded of Kurt Vonnegut's wise words:
I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.’
Last night, Ten and I were reading in bed – it was SO damn cozy and nice (and I said so too!).

I only mention it (happily!) but, since the beginning of Ten and Donna’s Excellent Adventure, three weeks and a coupla days ago, I’ve had just one sleepless night. This is mondo unusual for me. Positively wondrous and shit. If Ten came with an advertising slogan it’d be You’ll sleep better with Ten!

And I do.

Other nice things?

Our new visitor cat, Thor – he’s a respectful boy. Jen tells me that, when he and Umlaut are on the porch at the same time, Thor never gives Umlaut shit about eating first. No fights, no dust ups – he waits his turn. Good kitten. Jen and Ten tell me there’s an orange tabby visitor now too but I’ve not seen him. Ghost Cat’s still coming ‘round too. Obvs, we need to hit the cat food store again.

Coco’s adjusting nicely to her new roomie. In the morning, when she comes to see if I’ve arrived in Wakey-wake Land yet, she mounts the bed and climbs slowly, casually over Mount Ten in order to reach me. How long before she’s decided Ten’s lap is THE ONE?

I came to the conclusion that I needed to allow myself the space and time to feel sad – all the new BIG changes have sorta, kinda, rilly triggered my never-far-from-the-surface TAB grief. Ya see, that BIG sad needs to get out – it can’t fade away and radiate if I imprison it in some tiny box in my bean. Know what happened almost immediately after I made that sane decision? Yup, my bleak, gloomy spirit lifted. Amazing what allowing myself the room to feel what I’m feeling does for me. It’s good shit…and shit.

I found, on introducing Ten to our local library yesterday, that they show movies a couple times a week. Next week the feature is Bohemian Rhapsody. Yeah, I won’t be able to hear the awesome tunes BUT, all the same, I’d like to see it. And, yes, there will be closed captioning. TOO cool! The library also offers yoga classes, art exhibits, book and crafting groups and a bunch’o’crap for the kiddles. How awesome is this and WHY am I so late to the library game? Have libraries always been this fab? Are they all this amazing?

Finally, Ten and I went to the adult bev store in search of a decent local brew for him. Ya see, out in Bend, he was a fan of his hometown brewery, Deschutes, and their Bachelor Bitter. It’s not available here so we’ve begun the hunt for a fab alternative.

I had no idea that beer can and bottle art had become, like wine labels, so incredibly fun!