Search This Blog

Friday, October 11, 2019

Rainy Day Woman

 Summer's really over, eh?

The weather here in Valhalla has been wet, blustery, with temps hovering in the low 50s ALL WEEK. The first day of this decidedly un-summery, totes season-appropriate weather was wonderful actually. It felt like Mother Nature was heralding Autumns arrival. A reason to celebrate! Pumpkins appearing EVERYWHERE, toasty warm chowders and stews with bread fresh from the oven and, my big fave, hot toddies!

By the third straight day of wind strong enough to knock me over (OK, given my usual tippiness, that really doesn't take much), rain and chill, I sank into an abyss of melancholia. I worried about absolutely EVERYthing – shit I’ve no control over (like Preznint Psycho Shitheel’s dangerous imbecilities), shit I can control (paying those three bills sitting on my desk and WHY haven’t I written those checks yet?), shit I can affect BUT not control (my health which I can’t ultimately control BUT I can help it along with near daily trips to the gym and remaining mindful and responsive to changes).

Yesterday I did things to soothe my bean. I put the cozy, warm, fluffy duvet on the bed. I had a warm slice of Ten’s wonderful blueberry bread (normally I avoid bread like I avoid Republi/Fascists). I asked Jen to call my new cornea minder with my recent concerns. I wallowed in my slothiness by giving myself a day off from the gym.It was good.

What to do today? We’re in day four of this cold blowing wind and rain shit and there’s no relief in site. Every part of my being has been permeated by this wretched weather. It feels as though life will never be different…better

HOW can I lift my spirits up?

I’ll start by getting shit done. I WILL write out the checks for those damn big bills. I’m giving myself a day off from my red eye inducing prosthetic cornea (at least until I get word from Doc Jacobs). I’ll jump back in on those two recently begun paintings. I'll go to the library for some new reads. And I WILL hit the gym and hit it hard.

I’ve started scanning some happy headlines. It appears the Bloated Tangerine Mobster's chickens are coming home to roost. Has Prez Mushroom Winkle McTiny Dick finally jumped the Republi/Fascist shark? 

I have this inchoate splinter of hope. I need to kindle it. If the flame goes out, what’s left?
Rainy Day Women #12 and 35 – Bob Dylan