Search This Blog

Monday, April 27, 2020

The Void

There's an ocean out there somewhere!
What I may be missing most during this shutdown (ya know, apart from a competent, NOT on-the-take president) is music. Yeah, I know – I’m ALWAYS feeling the void where tune-age used to be.

Why is the absence more sharply and desperately striking now? Eh, music was always a major balm in hard times (in grand seasons and hours too…OF BLOODY COURSE).

That and I’m doing the 10 album challenge on ShoutyFace. This is the one where a friend tags you with the direction to post the covers of 10 albums that are important to you – sans commentary, just the cover.

Narrowing my choices to JUST 10 is difficult to say the very least. My cousin Gary’s also playing. Yesterday he posted Aladdin Sane. I can NOT believe I didn’t have that in my original list! I remember the first time I heard the title cut – the piano, especially at the front of the tune –  knocked my socks, underdrawers and glasses clean off. It continued to do so every damn time I heard the song. ABSO-FUCKING-BRILL is what it is.

Shit…I could live an entire happy life inside that cut alone. Also too, same album, Panic in Detroit .

Aladdin Sane put the Carmina Burana/O Fortuna spinning on the old internal turntable. Why? How are they related? //shrugs// It’s another piece I could live inside. Naturally Talking HeadsStop Making Sense immediately follows which leads to David Byrne’s The Forest.

From there I end up inside Aaron Copeland’s Fanfare for the Common Man.

Somehow I’m now inside Paul Simon’s Spirit Voices and Cool, Cool River.

OK…more. Last night, Jen, Oni and I were watching an episode of Lucifer. That’s the show about the Devil, who’s abandoned Hell for Los Angeles. He runs owns a hip piano bar/nightclub and is also a consultant to the LAPD.

In one scene from last night’s show, Lucifer and a BeyoncĂ©-type singer end up dueting Gloria Gaynor’s I Will Survive . It looked brill and pained me that I couldn’t hear it.

 Waddya know – I just found a YouTube clip of it! Watch and listen for me.

So, it’s a bleak-ass cold, rainy day. It’s a Monday and I’m grieving the loss of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment