Search This Blog

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Well Informed vs. Sane

Last night our Republican governor (who is not as desperately, myopically dimwitted and greedheaded as other Republi/Fascist Govs) extended the don’t-go-out-‘cept-for-essentials order through May 4th. 

This is only day 17 of the stay-at-home new normal and, I’ll tell you wut, I’m already needing to expand my creative outlets so I don’t spend all day reading the news and political blogs or checking into Shoutyface and Twitter. 

Yes, my desire to stay well informed is having a pitched battle with my efforts to stay sane.

So, waddya know, I’ve taken up knitting once again. I haven’t hoisted the ol’ needles and yarn since just after The Amazing Bob’s too soon, devastating departure.

Mind you, I’m NO knitting pro – not by ANY metric. In point of fact, I’m the dropped stitch queen and still need to google how to bind off.

For me, knitting’s not about creating a garment. It’s about the pretty colors of yarn, their pacifying textures and the repetitive, calming needle action. It’s a form of meditation.

Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.
~ Elizabeth Zimmerman
I’ve also begun an additional two paintings (for those keeping score, I've now got four in different states of development). I‘ll run out of canvas, paper and paint before this is all over – I just know it! I wonder if Utrecht delivers...

April 14 is the predicted peak for COVID 19 here in Massachusetts. It’s anticipated that 7,503 hospital beds will be needed – there are, currently, just 4,848 available. 

A fellow Nf2 friend’s tumor clearing surgery has been put off from mid April to July. I imagine, if she had a Godzilla sized beastie, (like me) they wouldn’t reschedule. Still, that they ARE bumping brain surgeries says to me that Mass General is taking this seriously – way more than Preznint Calamity Clown and his sycophantic stooges and cult of morons

Try as he might to now prepare the country and figure out an excuse for massive casualties potentially on a scale not seen since World War II, Trump’s own statements and failure to take action cannot be entirely erased from memory. He would like us to think “some people” just thought we could “ride this out,” but not him! Well, he actually was the one who told us it would all disappear one day. Trump would like us to think that 100,000 to 240,000 (the range of the administration’s own projected casualties) would be a stunning achievement for him because doing nothing would have resulted in many more deaths. (source)
On this past Monday, here in the Bay State, the total number of people who'd succumbed stood at 56. By Wednesday, just yesterday – two measly days later, there were 122 dead.

Yesterday Ten and I went down to Trader Joe’s in an attempt to buy just a few little necessities. TJ’s is taking the social distancing orders WAY more seriously than our local Stop&Shop. For starters, it looks like they’re only permitting a certain small number of shoppers in store at a time. Like with our fave weed emporium, there was a line to get in with 6-12 feet between each person.


Annoying yes BUT what isn't in these Trump Plague days? Still, very good to see.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you had your surgery when you did! That yarn looks gorgeous (as do the knitting needles!), wish I could knit :-/

    ReplyDelete